Boom Goes The Bottle Rocket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lincoln2

Reaction score
Pale ale racked mid-August.
Relocated from cupboard to unpowered fridge (i.e. insulated cupboard) on Sunday.
38 degree day, some minor agitation.
Almost complete vertical lift-off. Plastic casing at in ceiling is quite strong/rigid.
If we can harvest this power and up the scale; we're going to the moon.

Boom_001.JPG

Boom_002___Copy.JPG

Fark ! That's impressive. Do you think the other bottles in the batch are likely to go, or is that an isolated matter? You can often tell by the caps bulging in the centre.

Pale ale racked mid-August.
Relocated from cupboard to unpowered fridge (i.e. insulated cupboard) on Sunday.
38 degree day, some minor agitation.
Almost complete vertical lift-off. Plastic casing at in ceiling is quite strong/rigid.
If we can harvest this power and up the scale; we're going to the moon.

That's the last bottle of the batch, very mysterious.

I may also need a hard hat. Later that night a mate popped a bottle of a 3 month old lager and the cap shot into the air, ricocheted off the roof and pinged him on the scone. It may be time to use a measuring device other than just my eyes.

Far Out!

Must've been a flaw in that bottle. The missus knocked a lightly carbed bottle of cider off the top of the fridge the other day, a height of about a metre and a half. It landed corner first onto a concrete floor. The bottle didn't break, but the cider got agitated enough to pop the crown seal off. Coopers bottles are supposed to be as strong as hell!

That would have to be one of the funniest things I've seen on here for a while

On one hand it's funny because it's not my fridge, I've borrowed it from a mate.
On the other hand it's tragic. 750ml of fine pale ale, liberally hopped with Nelson Sauvin, perfect for summer quaffing, lying in a puddle at the bottom of the fridge.

When I first used liquid yeast, I wanted to re use them, so first gen, i'd split into 375ml stubbies. One of the first times, I bottled at high krausen, and put in the fridge. That night, I heard a big BANG. Pretty quickly figured out what it was. I found glass shards embedded in the plastic in the door (still marks there). Freaked me out, so I put the rest in the bin. Every few hours i'd hear one go off. Scary shit. Since then, I use PET for yeast, and top crop, or take the slurry.

P.S that has to be the coolest home brew pic ever!

That is amazing. It could have been a very different story, mate. Very lucky.

I'm thinking this might be more appropriate.

eod.jpg

Had a bad batch once... whole crate had a cascading failure...

glass and beer everywhere... not good.

kegs :)

I had a bottle on the edge of explosion shoot the cap in my face a month or so ago.

bloody hurt too.

Bottle was from 2010 i think, and was the last of my bottled beer. I was opening them and pouring them down the drain.

+1 for kegs :wub:

Bottle_Cap_Ouch.jpg

I had a bottle on the edge of explosion shoot the cap in my face a month or so ago.

bloody hurt too.

Bottle was from 2010 i think, and was the last of my bottled beer. I was opening them and pouring them down the drain.

+1 for kegs :wub:

OUCH!!!! :eek: I might show the wife this pic/thread and see if I can get an upgrade for Christmas :lol:

Lucky you've still got eyes, Tony!
I usually get a few bottle bombs happening over summer. Keep em covered at all times.

Got an old full asbestos face mask & gortex jacket courtesy of my employer that I use when "de-fusing" dodgy batches.

Latest posts

Back