Boling Cider Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazy

Reaction score
Going to have a crack at a Black Rock cider kit as Ive never made a cider before. My question is
When I made extract brews I would normally boil as mush water as I could, dissolve in the malts, hops and boil as normal, cool and ferment. Should I use this method with the cider kit , add in dextos, apple juice boil for a while, cool to desired temp and pitch yeast. Will the boil affect the cider concentrate in the tin and the added apple/pear juice. I am also going to use a Sparkling wine yeast (bc s103) or should I just use the kit yeast.
Thanks in advance

Going to have a crack at a Black Rock cider kit as Ive never made a cider before. My question is
When I made extract brews I would normally boil as mush water as I could, dissolve in the malts, hops and boil as normal, cool and ferment. Should I use this method with the cider kit , add in dextos, apple juice boil for a while, cool to desired temp and pitch yeast. Will the boil affect the cider concentrate in the tin and the added apple/pear juice. I am also going to use a Sparkling wine yeast (bc s103) or should I just use the kit yeast.
Thanks in advance

I wouldn't boil. Otherwise your cider will taste like apple sauce...

Not sure what yeast is in the kit but the wine yeast will do a good job... if you like a very dry cider. the kit yeast may leave it a little sweeter but not knowing what it is I can't be sure.

Cheers
dave

Hey hazy, as airgead said i have been told that boiling the juice will give an unpleasant 'cookwed apple' flavour.
Also, for next time, just buy 23L of preservative free apple juice. I've done one it turned out delicious. Bottled up another one yday, used apple juice to bulk prime it too. So its ALL juice. Cheap and delicious. Ended up with 78 stubbies somehow too...?

Next time i make some i am going to use a little nutrient so it doesn't take quite as long. The last one took ages as the yeasts kept dying so i had to add more. Nottingham first, us05 second and then finally sparkling wine yeast. Mine finished at 1004 so it will be good and sweet.

I use SN-9 yeast in my ciders. They're a pretty dry cider but I put in 1kg of raspberries for a 23L batch and that makes all the difference.

Latest posts

Back