Boiling Vessels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

As you may or may not know, I'm in the process of collecting gear to go AG. I'm having a bit of trouble "sourcing suitable 50 litre s/s vessels" :blink: .

Was talking to a mate, who has offered me a 350 litre ali tank, brand new. I've looked at the tank, and noticed that it has two baffles inside, so I can cut the tank into three, to get 3 x 100 odd litre vessels. The diameter of the tank, however, is 26" wide. Pretty big. I think that this might be too big, but if I do double batches, maybe????? I can even get a 26" lid for them.

Before I said 'no, thanks", I thought that I'd put a post on here, and see what you guys think. All opinions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Jase

For all the time and effort, get yourself a keg and cut the top off it. Then get a 20 mil hole saw and drill a hole in the side to put in a tap.

Kegs are easy to find and fit perfectly onto most wok burners. From the pics I have seen, they also fit on nasa burners. Gas is has my vote over electric boilers.

Or if you are happy with aluminium (which it would seem you are) you can get a 50L ali stock pot for a hlt and a 70L one for your boiler. It will probably be a more managable setup than a modified tank (but obviously its a bit hard to say without seeing pics etc). Aluminium is easy to work with too.

If I was setting up an AG system from scratch now I would probably construct it around 50L (hlt) and 70L (kettle) s/s stock pots. Allquip have pretty reasonably priced pots. Stick a Gatorade-style cooler between the two and you've got yourself a pretty sweet system.

So many options though. You can't post some pics of your ali tank can you? 26" diameter for a kettle does sound pretty wide! But there's no obvious reason I can see why it wouldn't work...

:beer:

Back