Boiling Up Lme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSRman

Reaction score
I was disolving some LME in water to make a starter (trying to grow some yeast out of a bottle of coopers) and after it had boiled for 10 min and cooled, i noticed that it had white-ish crud in the bottom..

what is this stuff?

i poured the fluid off the top and threw it out.. was that the right thing to do?

is this going to happen when i boil the rest of the LME when im mixing up the wort?

How much water to Lme did you use.

I have never seen this - white stuff.
I have heard of the LME caramalysing on the bottom of the pot - this makes it go darker.....

Some supermarkets sell jars of liquid malt.
I used to use these - as i felt it was more convenient.

Now, i tend to go more for yeast nutrient and Dextrose for the yeast starter.

I might be wrong, but I think this may be just coagulated protein which comes out of solution during the hot break phase of the boil, and clumps together and falls to the bottom when the wort cools. Leaving it behind shouldn't affect the yeast's performance in your starter.

Cheers - Snow.

I think your right Snow, I personally scoop this off while it is at the top during the boil.

i used ~125gm of LME to 1.25L of water, boiled the water, stirred in the LME after it was all disolved and back on the boil, i boiled it for 10 mins and then cooled it..

hmm alrighty, when i cook the rest i'll try scoop off the white gunk before it settles..

heh heh urrmmm, LME? :huh: what are you guys talking about?

ok, is LME = Liquid Malt Extract? :rolleyes:

I think they mean DLME (dried light malt extract)..

edit: infact.. i'm not sure what theyre refering to.. cause you still have to "disolve" as such liquid malt..

Typically, LME is Liquid Malt Extract and DME is Dry Malt Extract. I'm pretty sure this is what GSRman is referring to.

GSRman said:
trying to grow some yeast out of a bottle of coopers
how did you go?

what were/are you going to use it in? (can, sugar etc)

cbeers :)

it went no good...

what Ive done is drill the a couple of coke bottle lids, enough to fit a grommet and air-lock, then i boiled up some LME (125g in just over 1L of water) i then poured most of the beer out, (into my glass) and gave the remaining fluid a swish around, and poured that into a 300ml glass bottle and added about 80ml of my LME in water.

after a few days there was no movement through the air-lock and no action inside...

I tried drilling the lid of a soft drink bottle and the seal didnt work but the yeast did
Also if there is a temp difference tween the beer and the malt liquid its gonna take a few days bfore anything starts to happen

Dont drill a hole in the lid, just go to your local HBS and get a rubber bung that will fit a coke bottle. They'll normally have them pre-drilled to fit an airlock :)

Linz: the lids need the little plastic blue bit inside to seal.. i cut that to the right size with a holepunch..

there's been no action even now... almost 2 weeks later..

kook: and i should go an pay for something i can do at home for 5 mins work because? :)

not everything in life is about the destination, some are about the journey :)

GSRman said:
heheh, :p i might have to report this to fiscus...
we might need a philosophy forum... :D

Indy said:
GSRman said:
heheh, :p i might have to report this to fiscus...
we might need a philosophy forum... :D
Hahahaha - might keep that one on hand for the AussieHomeBrewer T-Shit print.

might keep that one on hand for the AussieHomeBrewer T-Shit print.

i just wanna know how the hell you squeeze out a T-shit :)

Back