Boiling The Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
just how vigerous should the boil be?

I used to boil in a 50 liter keg making 25 liter batches and used a 3 ring burner.

The boil was quite vigerous and the beers were good.

I now boil in a 68 liter keg making 50 liter batches with the same burmer.

The boil is more like a high simmer. It rolls, them settles down then rolls then settles down again if you know what i mean. The boil is a lot les vigerious now.

I have noticed my beers are smoother and clearer would you believe (i pump the break into the firmenter too)

just wondering what peoples opinions were on the boil?

i hear all this stuff about jet burners that would send a shuttle into space it they had a chance.

like i said.. mine is a high simmer and the beer is great.....

Does it have to be a voilent boil?

think about it.

cheers

If your brews taste fine then why worry? The taste is all that matters in my books...

mine is a high simmer and the beer is great

This says it all doesn't it?

Tony,
You probably get better hop utilisation with a strong boil as they are smashed aound more violently. Gentle boil is really all that is needed. I guess the advantage of one of these high pressure burners is the time. If you have all day waiting for your boiler to boil then three ring is the go. If you want to shorten your brewday by a couple of hours then high pressure is the way to go.
Darren

only takes 20 min to come to boil from when i finnish sparging with the 3 ring burner.

otherwise i would have gone to something bigger.

Im not complaining :D

I am just interested in other peoples opinions on the subjust.

I have never complained about making better beer. :)

cheers

Latest posts

Back