Boiling Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
:beer:

Thankyou Master Brewers for comments.

I have heard a brewing tale that if you cook 500 g of malt and 500 g of sucrose or dextrose you will enhance the brew.
I think this seems like extra effort that is not needed? Or I may be wrong thats why I posted this comment..
Anyway the method is to slow boil the dry ingrediants in a saucepan until it boils set aside to cool and then add the can syrup, then the water.

I do realise this would up the water temperature of the wort resulting in yeast problems especially in lagers etc...

Thankyou brewers for any suggestions to this idea?

[
hi keef
do you mean malted barley you should never boil it as it will extract tannins out of the grain husks
steeping it at 65 c to 70 c is how i use to do it when i did mini mash
paul

[
hi keef
do you mean malted barley you should never boil it as it will extract tannins out of the grain husks
steeping it at 65 c to 70 c is how i use to do it when i did mini mash
paul

The malt is coopers light malt pre packaged
thanks paul

the only time u need to boil anything is when u steep specialty grains, or do a mini mash.

Its needed to get rid of any nasties in the water, and u can add hops to the unhopped malt extracts this way.

U seem to have the wrong part of the stick, as once u boil a small batch it is then left to cool to pitching temp before adding yeast.

Do a little more searching for using specialty grains, and using hops and u will see what your after

I have heard a brewing tale that if you cook 500 g of malt and 500 g of sucrose or dextrose you will enhance the brew.
I think this seems like extra effort that is not needed? Or I may be wrong thats why I posted this comment..
Anyway the method is to slow boil the dry ingrediants in a saucepan until it boils set aside to cool and then add the can syrup, then the water.

I do realise this would up the water temperature of the wort resulting in yeast problems especially in lagers etc...

You may be a little off track that's all keef...
(And to the other's that have commented...he's obviously talking kit cans due to the fact he has stated Cooper's Malt Can and the fact that the thread is in the K & K topic... ;) )

Kit cans don't really need boiling, I say really as you can basicly do what you want with these...I have tried both my own way and kit instructions. If your talking purely Malt extract, then it has to be boiled exactly the same as you boil your wort(well basicly the extract is condensed wort, produced from mashing the grains, etc. then the extract is condensed). You boil the Malt for a few reasons...1. Sterlization(or is that with an "s"??)...2. Achieve Hot Break(proteins formed from boiling extract)

Oh and you always cool your boiled wort to the pitching temp. before pitching your yeast.
:D

You don't need to boil anything if your only ingredients are malt extract (i.e. liquid from a tin or bag of powder) or dextrose/sugar, and in fact it can have adverse effects such as darkening the wort. I'd just chuck it into the fermenter at the same time as the kit extract. It gets a bit more complex if you start using hops or grain, but it sounds like you are not at that stage yet.

Keef

as above. what i think you may have heard part of is that it is recomended to heat (not neccesarily boil) some malt extract or tin of wort when using hops as the malt extract/wort gets a better ustilisation of the hop oils released than just plain water. If you were using malt extracts it has also been suggested that heating these up before adding to the rest of the brew will help utilisation as the tins of wort already have hop extract in them (as maltaddict explained).

I guess long story short is: you dont have to boil cans of malt extract.

Keef

as above. what i think you may have heard part of is that it is recomended to heat (not neccesarily boil) some malt extract or tin of wort when using hops as the malt extract/wort gets a better ustilisation of the hop oils released than just plain water. If you were using malt extracts it has also been suggested that heating these up before adding to the rest of the brew will help utilisation as the tins of wort already have hop extract in them (as maltaddict explained).

I guess long story short is: you dont have to boil cans of malt extract.

Thankyou city for the comments. Im very cleared up now. I realise that using warm (not boiling) water is good in can kits to get the malt mixed well and dissolved etc. Allow the wort to cool also. best wishes.

the only time u need to boil anything is when u steep specialty grains, or do a mini mash.

Its needed to get rid of any nasties in the water, and u can add hops to the unhopped malt extracts this way.

U seem to have the wrong part of the stick, as once u boil a small batch it is then left to cool to pitching temp before adding yeast.

Do a little more searching for using specialty grains, and using hops and u will see what your after

thanks yeasty

Latest posts

Back