Boiling Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozbrewer

im ozzing flab
Reaction score
Ok brewers, here the plan, I have a can of Coopers IPA, and 1.5 kg of light malt extract, the plan is to add them together, and boil for an hour, why....because i want to add some nice hops to it, and try to get rid of the crappy kit taste,

My question is, how much of the ISO hop that is added to the kit will be lost...all, some...none.....

DO NOT BOIL THE KIT ... apart from darkening the malt and driving whatever hop oils are there off, it does nothing.

By all means boil your hops up in the 1.5kg of malt.

The iso shouldn't be affected btw ... its the oils they add for flavour that are driven off

ozbrewer

I tried that IPA once, and found it fairly nicely bittered.

Think I would just boil up the extract with your hops for flavour, then mix the kit into it.

Armstrong said:
DO NOT BOIL THE KIT ... apart from darkening the malt and driving whatever hop oils are there off, it does nothing.

[post="66778"][/post]​
actually, boiling the kits does a whole heap, it takes that crappy flavor away from kits, I have been given this advice from a very experienced kit brewer, who tends to win alot of awards for his beer. I have tried this, and it realy does make a difference,

But for this IPA i want to controll the bitternes better, and not jsut take pot luck

:) If you are going to the trouble of boiling for an hour,why not ditch the crappy flavored kits and get 3kg of unhopped extract and bitter with real hops,and become an extract brewer?
Its way more fun and you have total control over hop bitterness and flavour.

:p just a thought(with a nominal value of 2c) LOL

Brauluver said:
:) If you are going to the trouble of boiling for an hour,why not ditch the crappy flavored kits and get 3kg of unhopped extract
[post="66782"][/post]​

Because i have the kit, im not interested in doing kit or extract beer, im doing it because i have the kit, and i doont have any grain ATM

so if no one minds to much, is it ok if we stick to the question of what will happen to the ISO, and not why im brewing a kit?

Back