Boiling Hops Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have only used finishing hops ( tea bag job) in the past.....I want to up the IBU in my next recipe. Ian's Spreadsheet ( what a beauty that is by the way) tells me to boil hops for 10 min. I assume this means bring water to boil, add hops and boil for 10 mins?......do i let it steep in there afterwards at all?? and how much water should i use for 25g of hops.

Sorry if this is a ignorant noob hop question..........thanking you in advance.

Cheers

For a kit brewer, this is the easiest method. You could also take some of your wort and use that to boil in your hops, save you diluting anything.

As for buying them - buy in 90g packets. They're about 1/6th the price per gram as "finishing" hops and generally better quality and condition.

You generally want to boil hops in wort around 1.040 - so adding some dme to some water (or taking some of the kit wort) and boil that up with the hops in it.

A 10 min boil isn't going to add much in the way of IBUs though (unless your adding a ton - aka 10min APA style).

When just adding a few finishing hops you can add 200g dex to 2 litres of water and boil your hops in that for 10 min or so. Then use the boiled water to add to your fermenter and de-solve the rest of the kit. The dex I think is as good as malt in this case. Just add the hops and all straight in..

Cheers.

Back