Boiler With Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manga

Reaction score
I have done a partial mash and now want to go full mash. For this, I need to purchase some equipment.

For the boiler, I need some tips from you all grain brewers. I have decided that aluminium is out and stainless steel (SS) is the way to go. I have looked at the SS pots in BigW, Kmart and the like, but they are a flimsy construction, thin steel all the way through.

I now have the Robinox WSS36 36L stockpot in mind. It is of high quality with a good thick solid base to ensure even heat distribution, however it does not have a tap, which although not necessary, would be handy to have.

Does anybody know of a place to buy a good quality SS stockpot with tap fitted ? I am happy to pay extra for this.

Cheers

Where are you?

If you want one with a tap, ESB at Peakhurst have 60L s/s boilers with taps. They are way expensive though (~$450). Its really very easy to get a tap attached to a stock pot via a bulkhead fitting. There is heaps of info on this site on using weldless fittings with stock pots (do a quick search). I think that little 36L Robinox pot would be a great one to go for - quite cheap too from Allquip.

I have a s/s boiler that I got a metal fabricator to make up for me. It is about 48L in capacity, and its as sturdy as hell! I got him to inlcude an outlet (threaded, so I can simply screw on a 1/2 inch ball valve) and handles. He did the lot for $200. I reckon that was a bit of a bargain. If I need any more s/s fabrication I'll definitely be going back there!

Anyway, so it might be worth you contacting some of your local metal fabricators and just get some rough ideas of cost. You often end up with a more serious piece of equipment and you can also get it custom made to the dimensions that best suit the rest of your equipment.

Manga.

Try Grain and Grape. You'll probably pay considerably more to have the tap fitted. It's not that difficult to do yourself. I'm pretty certain they can have the tap fitted for you though.

Here

BTW. If you're going to pay all that money for a pot. I'd go larger than 36 litre. This limits you to permanent 23 litre batches. Fine if that's all you ever plan to do but a bigger pot is handy.

Just a question. Why are you worried about aluminium? There's lots of brewers on this forum (myself included) using them and they're great. Far cheaper than S/S too. You could probably secure yourself a 60 litre ally pot for about $100. :beerbang:

Warren -

Guys,

I'm located in Sydney, Northern Beaches and have a car so can travel to outlying areas easily.

I am not keen on aluminium as I have read a lot that it can give your beer a metallic taste.

I'll be brewing in the standard 23L batch sizes are the foreseeable future, so the 36L capacity stockpot would be ideal.

T.D, whats the name and address (or website if they have one) of the metal fabricator that you went to, sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks for your help thus far, much appreciated

G'day manga,

Like you I prefer stainless its a personal choice, I just bought a 70L SS boiler from G&G.

I agree with warrenlw63 having read other brewers experiences they choose a smaller size to start with usually for affordability reasons and then later lament that they didn't go bigger.

36L isn't that big even for a single batch, you will need plenty of room to get a decent rolling boil.

good luck.

manga said:
I am not keen on aluminium as I have read a lot that it can give your beer a metallic taste.

[post="96531"][/post]​

Pure heresay and urban-myth. Trust me it doesn't. ;)

Warren -

i used the term "boiler" the other day and got flamed! <_<
it's a "kettle" (even though it boils things) :)

welcome to the all grain addiction! It's definitely worth it.

manga said:
I have decided that aluminium is out and stainless steel (SS) is the way to go
Cheers
[post="96525"][/post]​

Not only aluminium will be out , so will your bank balance :blink:

Batz

Perhaps you should look at a pyrex boiler. You wouldn't want to get any steel taste in your beer! :blink:

manga said:

I'll be brewing in the standard 23L batch sizes are the foreseeable future, so the 36L capacity stockpot would be ideal.

[post="96531"][/post]​

Manga, have a listen to the one of the latest Basic Brewing Radio podcasts with the interview with John Palmer (a very well respected all grain brewer and author of the How to Brew book, he is also a metalurgist). He talks about aluminium in the brewery and has absolutely no issues with Aluminium for good reason, nor does anyone on this forum. I'd save yourself some $$ and buy a good sized aluminium kettle. Unfortunately poor old aluminium is never going to shake that myth.

Even for 23L batches I'd go 60L, you wont regret the extra space and I think you'd end up regreting spending the $$ on only 36L SS-but it's totally up to you.

Note: you'll also save yourself some more $$ buying the aluminium pot because you will be able to drill the hole yourself and build your own weldless fittings for your valve. As I've said before if I had my time again I would have bought myself 3 aluminium kettles.

Cheers, Justin

Batz said:
manga said:
I have decided that aluminium is out and stainless steel (SS) is the way to go
Cheers
[post="96525"][/post]​

Not only aluminium will be out , so will your bank balance :blink:

Batz
[post="96537"][/post]​

Yep, the only cheap ones are stainless steal ;)

:lol: At least with ally the only "nicks" you'll get will be in the metal. :lol:

Warren -

Unless they're hot before you light the burner :lol: :lol: :lol:

Manga,

Try www.euroquip.com.au - they are a catering suppliers in Sydney (not sure exactly where). They have the cheapest stock pots that I have been able to find. I am looking to go there early next year (I'm in Canberra) to grab myself a 80L aluminium stock pot for around $130. Check out their range on the website under Kitchenware->Stock Pots

cheers

manga said:
Guys,

I'm located in Sydney, Northern Beaches and have a car so can travel to outlying areas easily.

T.D, whats the name and address (or website if they have one) of the metal fabricator that you went to, sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks for your help thus far, much appreciated
[post="96531"][/post]​

Manga, the fabricator is located in Maitland (well, technically Rutherford). Its called "Maitland Sheet Metal" Ph: 4932 5855. My folks live in the Hunter Valley so it wasn't a big deal for me. The guy took all of my info over the phone (dimensions, and requests for outlets and handles etc) and gave me a quote right then and there. I was a bit worried he might misinterpret what I wanted but it turned up exactly how I wanted it.

I had my car in at an auto-electrician in Dee Why (or sort of Collaroy I guess) the other day and noticed that there was a similar metal fabricator (ie one that appears to do small scale, stainless stuff) right near it. The phone number of that place is 9971 7814. I don't know how much he will charge but its worth giving him a ring I guess. He should be able to give you a good ballpark cost over the phone.

Good luck!

Give Gerard a call at www.ndbrewing.com.au. From speaking with him at one point he mentioned that he had boilers at some stage.

Cheers.

Duff said:
Give Gerard a call at www.ndbrewing.com.au. From speaking with him at one point he mentioned that he had boilers at some stage.

Cheers.
[post="96565"][/post]​

Definitely worth ringing Gerard - he's always got a trick or two up his sleve. But if I am thinking about the same boilers you are, I am pretty sure they have already been sold. I may be wrong though, and its definitely worth a phone call. :beer:

I just ordered an 80L 4mm Ally stcokpot locally for $120.00 ex GST. They didn't have a 70L listed.

Very cheap compared to S/S :)

Back