Boiled Pilsner block rock can kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinto

Reaction score
Hi, hoping if somebody can let me know if I have ruined my brew by boiling a Pilsner black rock can kit for 10 minutes. I have also added liquid malt and hallertaue hops and Saaz hops. I was trying a kronenburg recipe but read the instructions incorrectly. Thankyou in advance.

Not ruined.
Maybe slightly darker by a whisker, possibly slightly more bitter and less hop flavour depending on late hop in the kit - you have added extra saaz anyway.
Not necessary to boil the kit but I wouldn't stress.

Ok Thankyou, yeh don't normally boil but just wasn't thinking! See how it turns out I guess.

manticle is spot on. Might be darker and a little more bitter. But it will be drinkable still - just won't be the light pils you expected.

General approach with boiling is add any pre-hopped cans at either flame-out (at the end of the boil when you take the pot off the heat) or simply add the can to the fermenter when you strain the boiled liquid to it. If adding unhoped malts (in liquid or dry form) you can add some at the beginning of the boil and then the balance at the end. When I do an extract recipe and boil for 30 or 40 mins, I like to throw 1/3 of my dry malt in at the start - it seems to give it more body and flavour.

Cheers,
Pete

Latest posts

Back