Boiled Hops In Lme, Low Og

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
I brewed a kit weissbier last night and was expecting an OG of about 1.053 (calculated using the spreadsheet from here and another online calculator) but measured it at 1.046. I think I might have gone wrong when I boiled my hops. I boiled them for 30 min in 4L of water and LME (~500g - should have given roughly 1.040 SG) and expected it to darken a bit because I have read that happens when you boil LME. What I wasn't expecting was for it to significantly reduce the OG of the whole batch (and therefore I guess flavour). Have I missed something about boiling hops/malt here or is it more likely that the calculations were inaccurate?

Cheers in advance for any help.

How are you measuring the volume of what is in the fermenter? I suspect there's a greater volume in there than you're expecting, that will dilute it slightly. Boiling malt extract with hops won't lower the OG but diluting it by adding more water than the calculated volume will.

Hmm, the total volume is correct...I did spill a bit of the LME/hop liquid when I was pouring it into the FV though. Maybe I spilt more than I thought :s

Yes, but how are you actually measuring it the volume of fluid in the fermenter? If you're relying on the graduations on the fermenter then there's one source of error, unless you've verified it some how.
My 2c, hope it helps! :icon_cheers:

Yeah, I use the marks on the FV but I have verified the accuracy (+/- 100ml). Thanks though.

Latest posts

Back