Boiled Bottle Tops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
I spent this morning bottling my second batch of homebrew, a Coopers Stout. After sterelising everything and bulk priming I only had the bottle tops left to go, so as I have read on this board I boiled them, the Grolsch ones we're not a problem but the PET bottle tops that came with my kit had a bit of a nightmare. The bit inside the bottle top came away and shrivelled up making it impossible to put back in.

As it happens most of this batch has gone into Grolsch bottles but I have 12 PET bottles with these tops without the insert, it is obviously there as a seal and I am wondering if they will still seal Ok or if the bottles will go flat?

:unsure:

I suspect they may go flat - try capping an empty bottle with one of the dodgy caps, hold it under water and squeeze it to see if there are any bubbles. If you can do them up tight and there are no leaks, you might be OK. Otherwise get some new caps for those bottles (sooner rather than later).

Oddball, they need the plastic insert to seal properly. As Wortgames suggested get more caps or just put the beer into different bottles.

Will it be Ok if I replace them with new bottle tops tommorow? That is the soonest I can get to the shops now and I don't have any lying around the house right now.

Cheers guys.

It should be ok to replace them tomorrow, they may be a little less carbonated than you were intending though I doubt by much if any. Just leave the current ones on to stop anything getting into the bottle.

Thanks for the advice guys, I changed them all tonight. Hopefully they will be Ok.

:super:

Back