Boil Ups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though in a 60 minute boil I would probably lose almost all the 5 litres, I will be boiling an empty pot :)

Though in a 60 minute boil I would probably lose almost all the 5 litres, I will be boiling an empty pot :)

Can you boil more than 5L so that you don't end up with an empty pot?

I could probably boil more.

So by the sounds of it, we should not be adding water to a boil to try keep at a specific level for gravity? Would there be any issues if I did?

Not really. Makes your numbers a bit harder to predict (but you don't know your boil off so they are already).

If you want to be particularly careful make sure any water additions have boiled long enough to sanitise. It won't ruin your beer - may make it a bit harder to exactly replicate the beer next time though.

Though the boil off does not remove sugars, so wouldn't the end product have the same numbers?

Depends on how you're working your numbers. If you calcs don't allow for any boil-off and your final boil volume is exactly what your predict then, yeah, it should be close enough - colour may be off a little (?) but with kits you've got little control over that anyway so you probably don't care. I'd top up to keep isomerisation fairly constant but that's more gut feeling than science based.

Gee that is a lot, you must have a very vigorous boil and a very shallow pot. I often have a crack at Neills Centennial Ale with 5 or 6 liters for the boil for 30 minutes and no way I can see it will all evaporate after 2 times that time.

Though the boil off does not remove sugars, so wouldn't the end product have the same numbers?

I think you're right. I figure if you're doing a mini boil you're just going to chuck it into the FV with the rest of the wort and then top up with water to the predetermined level. Any water that boiled off would be replaced later bringing you back to your predetermined SG.

He is boiling hops for a batch in a small volume of wort. Gravity is important. Doesn't need to be topped up to keep gravity constant of course but lower gravity means better extraction which means better beer (if somewhat accurate IBU calculations are important to you).

He is boiling hops for a batch in a small volume of wort. Gravity is important. Doesn't need to be topped up to keep gravity constant of course but lower gravity means better extraction which means better beer (if somewhat accurate IBU calculations are important to you).

Well gravity will start at as close to 1040 as possible, I'm using the Ian's spreadsheet for IBU calculation do we know if it calculates boil off for IBU and boil size?

Sorry just played with Spreadsheet and the boil size does not affect the IBU calculation for Hops.

Back