Boil-proof Test Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone owns a hydrometer test tube that doesn't collapse into a soggy mess when boiling water is applied. If you have one, where did you get it? :(
I'm sure this has been the subject of another post somewhere on this forum but can't seem to find it through the 'Search' box. Can anyone help here? :(

Try lab suppliers. Basically a graduated 250ml test tube with a flat bottom (can't remember what they're called)

Hoops

you want a pyrex measuring cylinder

I got a heat proof plastic job from LHBS (had glass but break as easy as hydrometers after a sample or two)

Guest Lurker said:
Got mine from Grain and Grape
[post="59994"][/post]​

Is this the one Guest Lurker?

Hydrometer test jar deluxe

If it is I presume it's big enough for the Wine & Beer Hydrometer? :blink:
Edit due to too many beers on a Saturday arvo.

I saw them in Quality Homebrew Supplies in Slacks Creek Brisbane today. Too occuppied with decisions, should have grabbed one, sorry mate.

What Blooper?

You did it all wrong, Never admit liability :p

No probs

Will

nonicman said:
I saw them in Quality Homebrew Supplies in Slacks Creek Brisbane today. Too occuppied with decisions, should have grabbed one, sorry mate.
[post="60089"][/post]​

All sweet nonicman. Will get one ASAP. :) :)

Tidal pete,
Its simple. Don't boil the tube. It should be considered as a non-sterile item of your brewery.
Anything that goes into it should not go back into your fermenter.
Consider purchasing a refractometer. It is a very useful tool for any brewer.
A refractometer uses only a DROP of beer or wort rather than 100 or so millilitres required for a hydrometer.
Also, the down-side of those 250 millilitre cylinders is that they will use 1% of a 25 litre batch every time you take a gravity reading.
Me, nowdays I take a refractometer reading at the beginning of the boil (this gives a fairly accurate and instantaneous reading that allows me to calculate my hop bill for style), a hydrometer reading at the end of the boil and cool (really only for my own records), and then a hyrometer reading at the end of the ferment (just to make sure its finished).
My plastic "test-tube" never sees any heat.
On a similar note. If you plunge your hydrometer into warm-hot beer. It will crack and you will need to buy another one.
Before I had a refractometer I used to collect my hot wort in a coffee cup and cool it in the sink before pouring it into the "test-tube".

cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Tidal pete,
Consider purchasing a refractometer. It is a very useful tool for any brewer.
A refractometer uses only a DROP of beer or wort rather than 100 or so millilitres required for a hydrometer.
cheers
Darren
quote]

Darren,
Your helpful advice is duly noted. I'm a fair way from getting a refractometer as I am just piecing together a basic AG setup. A refractometer will be added to my 'wish list' along with a second fridge (for fermentation) & a lot of other stuff that will improve my AG setup out of sight. All things come to he who waits. :D :D

No worries Pete,
Take home message was: don't add heat to either your hydrometer or tube.
Never assume that it is sterile.
Never tip your hydrometer sample back into your beer.
Sure taste it or drink at will.

Yeah - I have found that the threshold of pain is around the same temperature those hydrometer tubes permanently deform.

Some people say you can take hydrometer readings and compensate for temperature by bunging a thermometer in there with it. I don't believe that is very satisfactory when the temperature is grossly different from the calibration temperature of your hydrometer. The formulas all work on the density of water and they assume there is no thermal expansion of the hydrometer etc.

I agree with OP's that a refractometer is handy. The great thing about the hydrometer is that the tube is the only thing I can drink out of at 8am without people thinking I have some kind of alcohol dependency.

Bottom line is, cool your sample to near hydrometer calibration temperature in a SS jug or something before pouring into tube.

Back