body assistance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bald Head Brewery

Reaction score
Hi all,

My question relates to and this might sound weird but the middle taste to my beer. I'm guessing body. I have my pale and extremely happy with the aroma and finished taste however it feels like there is something missing from the middle flavors. any ideas on improving this if it makes any sense to anyone. Below is the brew.

Rapid Creek Pale
500g light dry malt
250g maltodextrin
250g dextrose
150g naked oats
Amarillo hops
Cita hops to finish.

Thanks in advance

Im an AG brewer but looking at that, Id take the Dextrose out and target a higher FG.

That higher FG = more un fermentable are left in the beer, which is considered sweeter however that "body" of the beer is where those unfermentable are placed

What are oats doing in an extract brew? Unless you are going to mash them with grain, all you will get is starch...

You didn't mention hop boil times or amounts. I pimped a lot of my kits with a 10 - 20 min boil of something tasty (amarillo, chinook & cascade always the favs) + some reserved for the dry hop. You can use one of the online brew calcs to work out the IBU contributions to make sure you don't go too over the top.

I'd say take out the dex and sub in light dry malt or one of the dry malts that would lend itself to that style and you will finish with a higher Final Gravity than you are now. If I was taking out dex and adding malt I would probably use more malt, so 1kg dex : 1.2malt. It might end up tasting sweeter as not as much will ferment out so you might want to up the bittering a tad too - you still have to balance out the malt. If you're worried the beer will taste different, you could halve your dex and sub in malt and move your way along till your'e happy.

What are oats doing in an extract brew? Unless you are going to mash them with grain, all you will get is starch...

You didn't mention hop boil times or amounts. I pimped a lot of my kits with a 10 - 20 min boil of something tasty (amarillo, chinook & cascade always the favs) + some reserved for the dry hop. You can use one of the online brew calcs to work out the IBU contributions to make sure you don't go too over the top.
My bad, just checked my ingredients list and it was crystal gain.

Naked Oats is a crystal grain.
Crystal Oat in this case, it can be used in a steep just like any other Carra/Crystal malt.
Personally I suspect you might be a bit low on medium weight protein, first thought would be to toss the Dex/MDex and just use 1kg of LDME.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I know me picking up on spelling- Pot Kettle Black...
Mark

Latest posts

Back