Boc Lpg Regulaor - What Kind Of Hose Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
I scored a BOC LPG regulator which I was going to use this on my new Italian Spiral Burner to crank out a bit more oomph. I assumed that it would be a simple case of getting some ordinary bbq gas hose and connecting it up.

Unfortunately the outlet on the BOC is an odd size and also is reversely threaded. You can see in the pic that the one on the right is the BOC regulator, and the one of the left is from the spiral burner.

Does anyone else run a BOC regulator (Batz has some experience with these). If you do how did you connect the regulator to your burner?

The guy at the BOC shop in town says it can't be done. He was very unhelpful and it put me off further when he was treating his poor receptionist like shit right in front of everyone. Adrian - you're a cockhead. He referred me to Reece Plumbing which have been awesome to deal with with the gear for my rig, but they said that the BOC reverse thread bit is a special thread only BOC uses. He suggested that you could get a barb fitting and a worm drive hose clamp which would be fine up to about 200kpa (I read somewhere on here that the BOC/Spiral Burner run good at 100kpa) but he only has the one that would fit on the burner end of the hose, not the regulator end.

Can anyone offer some help??? :huh:

IMAG0339.jpg IMAG0341.jpg

Rob,
If Boc are stuffing you around get the fittings from a BBQ outlet or camping Store both have them here in Acelaide.

You can buy hose with fittings both ends or use oxy / acet. hose and use barb fitting.
Go to the stores and you will get what you want.
BOC have the hose and fitting here.
Don.

if you're having no luck with BOC or getting a threaded fitting for it, surely your local industrial supply joint would have a barbed fitting with the right thread to screw into the reg

yeah the retailers seem to try and avoid answering the question, i had the bloke say mate i dont wanna be involved with you blowing yourself up....anyway in a rush i hooked up some rubber EFI fuel line over the top of the thread and a barb in the other end, worked fine....once, havent used it since, bit sketchy, make sure you keep an eye on it :)

my godfather is a yacht builder and reckons almost all lpg setups on yachts have barbed fittings on the regulator, not screw in fittings
as long as you're using proper gas line and good hose clamps, you should be right

I'm an idiot. It's not a BOC regulator, it's a Cigweld, although I doubt that matters much.

What do you think about this?

Adaptor.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the outlet on the reg is 3/8" Left Hand thread, and that standard bbq hose is 1/4" thread.

This is advertised as (quote) - 3/8" BSP LH cylinder to 1/4" BSP male

Is this worth a shot?

Yeah it's LPG

Problem sorted for those that come after.

Went to Reece Plumbing and got a 1/4 inch barb fitting plus a male to male adaptor ($11). I took the control valve off the spiral burner leaving the brass jet where it was in the side of the cast iron. I screwed the barb onto the jet. Got 2 metres of orange welding tube from Allweld ($4 a metre). Got a 3/8 inch LH hose end from them and they fitted it all together for me (hose end $7).

All up $26 (the reg was free) and the thing is going off like a banshee.

Spiral Burner with adjustment dial removed, with Reece barb put on, worm drive hose clamp & welding hose
IMAG0343.jpg

Cigweld regulaor with 3/8" LH hose end from Allweld
IMAG0344.jpg

The setup - the noise and size of the flame is pretty full on
IMAG0345.jpg

Back