Boags Planning On Expanding With New Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Brewery to expand with restoration

Beer maker J. Boag & Son wants to spend $2.5 million refurbishing the former Port of Launceston Authority building and installing two giant fermentation tanks.

A development application before Launceston City Council asks for permission to demolish vacant buildings to allow extensions to the former port building.

Brewer manager Richard Benwell said yesterday the application was to refurbish the two- storey vacant former port authority building into office space, including extending the building at the rear.

Mr Benwell said the work involved restoring the facade and reclaiming an original doorway, which had been removed.

He said the buildings planned for demolition were of little historical significance but the port authority building was important and had many features which would be restored by the project.

The first of six beer fermentation tanks would also be installed behind the extended port authority building on the Esplanade.

Mr Benwell said that the building and the tanks should be ready by the end of the year.

The council last year approved an application to build six beer fermentation tanks, each measuring 18.5m by 11.7m.

It is proposed to erect two tanks a year, over three years.

Each tank can hold 200,000 litres of fermenting beer, equivalent to more than 500,000 stubbies.

Mr Benwell said the business was going extremely well.

He said an extra 15 jobs had been added during the past 18 months to run a second bottling line, taking the total to about 80 employees.

Two gas-fired boilers are expected to be installed early next year at a cost of $2.4 million.

well, hopefully this means they might produce the honey porter year round. otherwise sounds like a bit of a waste to me.
but on a positive note, it does mean more jobs.
joe

I tried the Boags Premium Lager (stubby) at the pub one day when the Stella doesn't taste like Stella (which occasionally happens).

Funny thing, the only non-CUB beers they have on tap are Stella, Killkenny and Guiness, and they're made by CUB under license.

I'm being cynical again.

Anyway, I thought if I was a lager drinker, then I could probably drink that Boags all day.

Must try their Honey Porter if I can find any.

Latest posts

Back