Boags Draught (only In Taz)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
I had a few boags draught given to me on the return of a mate, and it s^&ts all over CUB draught.

2 questions any one have a good clone? (i can make one because a) i dont know enough yet, 2) i cant try it again to compair unless i go to Taz

second question is it seems to have a malty sweetness i guess you call it (often i find this "taste" in the premium beers)

is this crystal malt?
boags premium also have a hint of fresh sweetness
where CUB do not....

Info from the web site

Tasting Notes

A traditional full flavoured, draught beer, master brewed using a blend of crystal malts and a unique brewing method, which impart a rich, malty character to balance the hop bitterness. Only available in Tasmania.

Original Gravity: 1041
Final Gravity: 1005-1008
Colour: 11-14
Alc/vol: 4.7%

i tried when me old man got me one from tassi i reckon its ok but still its like most aussie mega swill muck but i would say a small amount of wheat malt and mainly pale malt and hope with por and maybee it has same other hop for aroma

does it really taste like

A traditional full flavoured, draught beer, master brewed using a blend of crystal malts and a unique brewing method, which impart a rich, malty character to balance the hop bitterness. Only available in Tasmania.

it sounds like its tasmanias v.b. only maybe a bit better is this what most people drink in the pub.if so i dont really know why you want to clone it

anyway if your making a extract recipe DME is going to give you a much sweeter beer than any aussie draught so you cheat a bit by using that.
in the premium the malt flavour would proberly come from the use of munich malt which needs to be mashed it can be mashed by itself.
and you will want to finish at a low gravity so youll have to use dextrose for a portion of the points of gravity.
theres a prize winning draught recipe floating around somewhere on the forums id just make that.it would be better than boags draught iam sure
even the supermarket coopers draught can + brew booster+1/2 oz cascade simple beer that everyone will drink and love.

No i dont want to clone "it" i want to work out how boags (all i'v tasted) and lot of other "premium Lagers" eg cascade etc all have this what i can only call a malty sweetness or "freshness"

I have smelt it in my part mash beer, and again over the weekend in my steeped grain for the stout, i think it may be just fresh grain that makes the difference...

by the way i would rate the boags draught over VB anyday or Crown (i think crown is crap)

but it is not full flavoured, its just nice water :)

ben yeah for a premium beer you really do have to do a part mash.i wouldnt call any of those so called boags extract kit brews boags clones unless they did call for a part mash.

do a hahn premium clone would be better use a god pils malt bitter with por and finish with herbrucker

I did a part mash 1kg of lager grain, liquid yest, CC it secondry'd it hallertau hops in boil (15 min) and dry hop

tasted it tonight and it was not the best altho just out of the secondry so given time should get better

Back