Bluetongue Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungy

Reaction score
I'm sipping a Bluetongue ginger beer in apprehension at the moment, i can taste hardly any ginger in it at all. It has enough though that it doesn't drink like a normal beer. Very disappointed at $3.50 for a bottle, very very average. Tastes nothing like GMK ginger beer recipe which is in the fermenter at the moment, choice. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Will

Most definitely! I bought one for my other half, who likes (non-alcoholic) ginger beers, but was very disappointed. At least I'd also bought a Hoegaarden White for her as a safeguard, which she drank instead! :D I couldn't taste any ginger either. Think horrible megaswill with a tad (allegedly) of ginger, and you're getting pretty close to this. Absolute shite, very disappointing!

thats blue tongue all up on my opinion...boring uninspiring boring...

I don't like to badmouth anything from Newcastle.
However, I believe this is ordinary ginger beer. Or ordinary beer with ginger.
I have been told (or read on their website) that the brewer used to work for Tooheys. Scared yet?
Fisrt time I tasted Bluetongue on tap, I was accidentally poured a pint of the ginger. I had two sips, in case I was mistaken, before I handed it back. Hard to be sure that is was ginger and not bad lager.
Scary thing is that they questioned me about having been served the wrong beer...

Hey, but I like their Seasonal range.
I've tasted the Winter Warmer, the Cream Ale, and the Bitter they contract-brew for the Brewery on Queen's wharf isn't too nasty for the price ($4 pint in happy hour).
Going there tomorrow with SEBAGO (Society for the Enhancement Of Beer Appreciation & Good Oration) for beer 'n' man-talk.
Seasonal wheat to be sampled. Will report...

G'day all, sorry about the delay to this reply.
Not much to report.
No seasonal wheat, just the cream ale. A bit like Squire Amber.
Earlier in the day, I phoned the Queen's Wharf Brewery (QWB) to find out what the seasonal beer style was, and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, no-one could help me. BLOODY HELL!...but I was given a contact name at the Bluetongue to contact (Olivia, from memory).
Well, when I found time (I was at work, U C), Olivia was in a meeting and I spoke with Tom (fairly certain that he is a brewer and previously brewed at the QWB, when they brewed on premises). Tom asked me to hold on as Olivia was just coming out of a meeting. After a few minutes of waiting, someone was kind enough to hang up.
Great public relations, I say... and now I'm telling people about the quality of service.
Sethule out

Back