Blueberry Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanta

Reaction score
I've been meaning to try out a go at doing a blueberry extract recipe with the use of some grains possibly. I have just got into brewing with malt extract, grain and hops but would like to try this with a fruit base.
I have read that a Wheat extract as a base would work well, any suggestions on a grain type or basic extract recipe base?

Well its been a while since I have checked this thread and thanks to all the posts from this thread "http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/26946-brewing-with-fruit/?hl=blueberry" I was able to put down a 23 litre batch of a blueberry blonde. This has been my first attempt at brewing with fruit but below is a list of the ingrerdients I have used along with the method. Any feedback is more than welcome as this is a leaning curve for me and just having a bit of fun playing mad scientist.

BLUEBERRY BLONDE

30min Boil

1 x can of Muntons Blonde
1 x can of light LME
1kg of Honey
900g frozen Blueberries (they only came in 300g packets)
250g Carrapils
Irish Moss
Safale US05
45g Willimette
- 30g Willimette @ 15min
- 15g Willimette @ flameout

Method:

Boil 1.5 litres to 70 degrees and sparge grain for 20mins. Boil another pot of 1.5 litres to 70 degrees and empty sparged grain pot over grain bag to try and sparge even more from the grain bag into the larger pot.
Bring pot to boil. At boil take pot of flame and add can of light LME. After 15mins of boil time add 30g of Willimette. When flameout occurs add final 15g of Willimette & 1kg of honey.
Chilled pot in ice bath for 20mins then added to fermentor with can of Muntons Blonde then pitched yeast @ 22 degrees.

OG = 1042

On day 3 or 4 I will plan on adding the 900g of frozen blueberries in a grain bag to the fermentor to hopefully avoid a mess at the end of fermentation.

It's been a while since I have updated this thread so here it goes as bottling time is to occur next week.

14/4/13
Temp: 22
SG: 1012
Put 900gms of thawed out and crushed blue berries in grain bag to fermenter.

18/4/13
Temp: 20
SG: 1010
The extra sugar in the blue berries seems to of added the fermentation.

23/4/13
Temp: 16
SG: 1008

26/4/13
Temp: 15
SG: 1008

Well its drinking time for this baby now and its tasting good as I have a bottle of it in my hand. The honey seems to have over powered most of the Blueberry flavor but not totally and there still is a slight hint of it. I might have to store a few bottles for summer as I can see this going down rather nice on a hot summers day.

great post indeed. i think i might give it a go but maybe put a little less honey or maybe none at all so it doesnt over power the blueberry so much>?

Cheers Jaymzia, I defiantly reckon it would benefit from only half the amount of honey. Also with the blueberries I crushed them once they had thawed out to allow the flavour out.

I suggest adding some Mosaic to this recipe, IMO it would compliment blueberry VERY well...

Ahhhhhh Mosaic I have only just discovered this hop and am very excited to try it out :)

Back