Blue Mountain Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgw86

Reaction score
I picked up a can of the Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager that I will be putting down with Coopers BE2 and Hallertau hops and noticed that on the instructions of the Morgan's can it states to stir the yeast through before sealing the lid.

I have only ever brewed using Ale yeast which I just pitch on top and then seal up.

Is it neccessary to actually stir through the yeast...or can I just pitch it and seal without stirring?

Cheers,

Sam.

I would think the BML kit yeast would be a ale.. But I am not sure.. What temp is on the instructions.

I would think the BML kit yeast would be a ale.. But I am not sure.. What temp is on the instructions.

Recommended temp is 22-30C though I am fermenting at 17C. I also thought this was an ale yeast.

With a proper Lager yeast do you need to stir this through the wort before sealing up? or do you place it on top and it sinks to the bottom....

Recommended temp is 22-30C though I am fermenting at 17C. I also thought this was an ale yeast.

With a proper Lager yeast do you need to stir this through the wort before sealing up? or do you place it on top and it sinks to the bottom....

why do they recommend these temperatures ?

just sprinkle on top, it will work its way through the wort,

oh, and ferment at your 17 degrees, better results are imminent

If you pitch a dry ale yeast straight on the wort it is best done with the wort over 20deg. No stirring needed. And then lower the temp down.

I have pitched dry lager yeast at 12 deg (s-23) which took 3 days to start to kick in.

I am yet to brew a BML will have to try it...

Cheers

The yeast is Mauri Y497 it is a high temperature Lager yeast fairly widely used in Australian home brew kits.View attachment 51324
The manufacture recommends some quite different conditions of use to the can, as with any Lager yeast the cooler you want to brew the bigger the pitch you need, pitching hotter will increase the fusel and ester production, cooler gives cleaner if slower fermentation.
MHB

The yeast is Mauri Y497 it is a high temperature Lager yeast fairly widely used in Australian home brew kits.View attachment 51324
The manufacture recommends some quite different conditions of use to the can, as with any Lager yeast the cooler you want to brew the bigger the pitch you need, pitching hotter will increase the fusel and ester production, cooler gives cleaner if slower fermentation.
MHB

I pitched mine at 24C with the yeast sprinkled over the top, then put it straight into the fermenter fridge and it dropped to 17C over an hour or so. Is now sitting comfortably at 17C.

My method for this brew (like most of mine) is to leave it for say 9-10 days...take the 2 consecutive readings over 2 days...then on Day 12 up the temp to +6C from ferment temp to to a rest and then cold condition for 2 weeks at 2C.

Is this a good way to brew such a beer?

Picked up one of these today and the supplied yeast is in a plain silver packet and is unmarked??

Has anyone done one of these lately and can recommend a good pitch and ferment temp? I was thinking maybe pitch at 20-25 and ferment at 15-18, would this be ok?

Back