Blowtorches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a blowtorch to solder some copper bits for a HERMS setup etc, can anybody point me in the right direction of whats decent & what I need?

Hoping to pick something up ≤ $100 from Bunnings if possible.... :beer:

Use lead free solder if you are planning to solder brewery parts.

Just fixed up some leaky copper at home, tried 2 butane/propane burners on the fitting and couldn't get it hot enough. Borrowed a mates oxyacetylene, thats hot stuff cherry red in @ 10sec.
I think the gas in a yellow bottle mapp might work.

I used one of these for the fittings on my DIY CFC (available at Bunnings and under $100):
bernz.jpg

Combined with the small soft coils of solder from the tool-department not the longer solid solder-stuff from the plumbing section.
However, my lack of DIY skill (perhaps combined with the tools used) didn't do a very pretty job, but it worked, and only leaked a bit. ;)

Mapp gas with the ts8000 torch kit $134 @ bunnings i use it on anything from 1/4 to 3in copper

I've brazed some with my bernzomatic TS8000 and mapp gas and it gets thin stuff hot enough quite easily, though I find that it's awkward to handle and the flame is not very precise (quite huge actually) so can be a real pita for fine work.

if you want to soft solder then a normal blowtorch like wolfy posted should be fine, if you want to silver solder (hard soldering) or brazing then a mapp gas torch will do that job. I brazed an exhaust header off a holden 202 with my mapp gas torch.

cheers steve

Thanks guys, ended up grabing the TS8000, seems like a great bit of kit.

Might have a look at putting a "water purifier" together with it too :ph34r:

Back