Blowoff Tubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackers

Reaction score
i have a very good problem
the full mash brew i made on sunday is frothing away so madly that the airlock on my carboy keeps getting the krausen in it (cleaned it out monday & tuesday nite).
its the biggest krausen i ever had. about 5-6 inches high.
i read palmers book on blowoff tubes for glass carboys but ive got a plastic one with only the small hole in the lid for the airlock.
does anybody have a blowoff tube system for the plastic carboys, or should i even bother and just keep cleaning it.
my first serious all grain brew is going crazy, obviously i must of done everything right. :D

cheers
crackers

I've had this happen a few times.
Generally with Belgians and Wits (those yeasts are crazy).
I've just let it go and cleaned out the airlock every day.
It only lasts a few days before things settle down, and I've generally racked to a new fermenter.

If things are going really really crazy then remove the lid.

Post some pictures of it if you can. I love looking at pictures of crazy ferments :)

Beers,
Doc

thanks doc,
didnt think i would have a problem,
just needed to make sure tho.
will grab a pic tonite if i can grab the camera from work.

it was a simple recipe
4.5 JW Trad ale malt
250g JW caramalt
golding hops
1028 london ale yeast
20L in fermenter

im impressed
think i will be doing this recipe again but with different hops to determine the flavour of hops i most like.

cheers
crackers

Hey crackers, just put a short 2" length of 3/8" copper pipe (sanitized) through your grommet and fit your racking hose (but preferably a bit of hose you don't really need, it can be hard to clean out) to it. Or just match up some pipe and tubing that you have laying around, then drop this into a 2L coke bottle half filled with water and you have a blowoff tube for a plastic fermenter. You have probably thought of this but thought I would mention it.

Bubble you good thing bubble. Not a bad yeast eh? Bottling an Eng Bitter tonight with the same yeast using JW Pils, Crystal and Challenger hops. Tastes alright.

Cheers. JD

thought of that,
but palmer recomend 1" tube so clogging doesnt happen.
once the krausen hits the air ive found it can get quite crusty.
i dont think ill worry and just keep cleaning it each day.

cheers
crackers

sorry doc,
the frementation has calmed down,
no krausen thru the airlock last nite or this morning.
didnt grab a photo of it,
but will take the camera home for the next couple of days if it starts up again.

cheers
crackers

Back