Bloody Hell!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
I just received my latest purchase of grains from the LHBS. 5kg of pale ale and 300g of crystal.

Pulled the 5kg bag out of the box to show my 2yo son, and almost the whole bag of grains poured all over the dining room floor. Ever tried to pick up grain from carpet? I don't recommend it.

Spent the best part of a half an hour picking all the grains up with my son "helping".

Got most of it up with the exception of maybe 100g or so, along with cat hair and bits of food the my kids had dropped on the floor.

Should be an interesting tasting beer.

Put one of the wife stocking over the Vaccuum hose. You should be able suck the rest up without losing the grain down the vaccuum bag.

You will also be able to pick the undesirables out.

Wisdom from a mispent youth

I got most of it up. I weighed it and it's actually just over 5kg. The LHBS must have given me a little extra. :)

Don't think the cat hair and food will weigh too much. ;) Managed to pick some of it out.

Doing BIAB so none of it will find it's way into the beer.

Put one of the wife stocking over the Vaccuum hose. You should be able suck the rest up without losing the grain down the vaccuum bag.

You will also be able to pick the undesirables out.

Wisdom from a mispent youth

Ha Ha I was thinking of the exact same technique before reading your post. Works well with "hops", yes another mispent youth.

From kittens in airlocks to cats in the mash. Whatever next.

I got most of it up. I weighed it and it's actually just over 5kg. The LHBS must have given me a little extra. :)

What next? Well you could take what was said above out of context.

Oh-My-God.jpeg

I had a full sack of grain open on the kitchen bench ages ago, someone accidentally knocked it and it went sideways, probably half of the sack spread over the kitchen and I think there's still some left under the fridge to this day.

Keeping the hair out was a big PITA.

I had a full sack of grain open on the kitchen bench ages ago, someone accidentally knocked it and it went sideways, probably half of the sack spread over the kitchen and I think there's still some left under the fridge to this day.

Keeping the hair out was a big PITA.

Sure it will add to the flavour. :icon_vomit:

if you spread a few hundred grams at a time onto a few sheets of news paper and kind of 'sieve' it on an angle (a bit of side to side action), the grains should roll off leaving the hair and lighter stuff behind..

in my youth we used to remove seeds from 'hops' with this method.. you'll get the hang of it in no time :ph34r:

I would have poured 72C water over the spillage and covered it with an old dooner for 90 minutes.

in my youth we used to remove seeds from 'hops' with this method.. you'll get the hang of it in no time :ph34r:

Yeah "hops"...me too :lol: Ahhh, good times.

Unfortunately it wasn't just a few hundred grams, it was bloody near 5kg. I'll take the risk and hope for the best. I don't think there was too much there anyway.

I would have poured 72C water over the spillage and covered it with an old dooner for 90 minutes.

I can just see the look on my wife's face :lol:

Good bonding experience for you and your son, hope you rewarded him with a trip to the corner shop for an ice cream.

I was thinking you should have just pre-heated the water in the vax to about 70c, and sucked it all up.

QldKev

Good bonding experience for you and your son, hope you rewarded him with a trip to the corner shop for an ice cream.

Funny you should mention that, my wife took him to the shop to get him out of my way. :lol:

I was thinking you should have just pre-heated the water in the vax to about 70c, and sucked it all up.

QldKev

Vax? Our vacuum cleaner is a real cheapie. My wife can suck...I think I'll leave it there... :p

Name it "Chateau Verde Fleur".

(Joke courtesy of the 12th Man)

To make matters even worse, when my wife took my lil man to the shop yesterday she didn't close the car door properly, so when I went to go to work this morning I had a flat battery.

Wonder what the 3rd thing will be? Hope it happens before I do my next brew. :lol:

Back