Bloody Adelaide Wheather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was careful not to type 'I feel for your Bum'

Always the gentleman.

Gravity was down to 1012 immediately prior to the heat coming in so it was basically done. I'm not too worried about the heat making the yeast throw off flavours - I'm just more worried about what the heat may do to an unconditioned beer. Still it was just a small batch so even if it turns out kinda crappy I won't have lost too much.

Always the gentleman.

Gravity was down to 1012 immediately prior to the heat coming in so it was basically done. I'm not too worried about the heat making the yeast throw off flavours - I'm just more worried about what the heat may do to an unconditioned beer. Still it was just a small batch so even if it turns out kinda crappy I won't have lost too much.

I wouldn't stress too much if you can at least keep mid 20's. Not ideal, but as you said, the bulk is done. (think lager D rest...higher than you would ferment at, but so late in the process that it cleans up, rather than screws up. ;) ).

Possible effects: faster maturation, and hence faster development of issues that normally take time to develop (ie, loss of aroma, oxidation, infection (if present), autolysis, etc.)

Don't stress it, though.

I'll print that out to show SWMBO why I have to drink this batch faster than usual.

I'll print that out to show SWMBO why I have to drink this batch faster than usual.
Then all is not lost. Air-tight excuses for binge drinking are like hens teeth. Cherish the heat..... :lol:

Thanx to everyone for the great ideas on how to beat the heat. I'm brewing again, weather be damned! P13_11_09_20.11.JPG

What sort of esky is that? I as going to make an esky using styrofoam veggie boxes and some plywood however that looks more the ticket

Its a 80ltr PM Icebox I bought in Darwin about 5 years ago, working a treat.

well I just went to big W as there was a sale on Iceboxes starting today. $98. However when I got there they had sold out. Someone had about 10 in there car so watch out for them on ebay!!
Looks like Ill have to build one from the foam boxes

Hey guys

Put down a brew monday. 1 can coopers real ale 1 can farmland larger 2 x yeasts from coopers topped up to 23l.

The Adelaide weather has been a little erratic ie 40 sunday 28 monday 37 tuesday. I used 2 2l pet bottles filled with water and frozen in my freezer.

Temps are ranging between 15 and 20. do you think that this will cause problems with the standard coopers yeast? The was a fair bit of froth yesterday but it seems like it has settled down a lot and im concerned that the yeast might go to sleep at 15c.

do i have anything to worry about?

For an ale, 18-20 is ideal - I would not be overly concerned. Plus its going to be 43 tomorrow.... insane heat!

Maybe give it a gentle swirl once it is back up to the 18-20 range. It may have fermented a fair bit already hence the die down in krausen.

Not looking forward to thursday at all!!!!

i have 1 half defrosted 2l bottle in there at the moment, that i will leave over night and then replace with 2x 2l tomorrow morning and maybe a 1.5l as well seeing tats its gonna be 43c. im usually up about 6am and the first thing i do is pop out to the shed and refresh the frozen bottles.

By gentle swirl do you mean just swirl the fermenter and get the wort/almost beer moving or grab my brewing spoon, remove the glad wrap and actually stir?

I cannot fricken wait till i buy a tempmate :super:

Im feelin your pain fellas used to live norwest W.A. (Karratha) could 40+ for weeks on end and the whole place is made of rock. B)
Used to get some relief when a cyclone came by and pissed down rain or blew ya brew shed away. :angry:
Gee i miss that place NOT!!

I've given up and bought more fermenters. I'm just going to wait for gaps between heat waves (like the one coming up in a few days) and cram in as many brews as I can. Just gotta convince the girlfriend I'm actually saving money by filling all the cupboards with beer...

I've given up and bought more fermenters. I'm just going to wait for gaps between heat waves (like the one coming up in a few days) and cram in as many brews as I can. Just gotta convince the girlfriend I'm actually saving money by filling all the cupboards with beer...

I'm in Melbourne and I feel your pain, brother. The 7 day forecast is the first thing I read in the daily paper and the net. Next week is looking a little more hopeful. If I can get 5 days in the low 20's then it's three fermenters filling that gap. Really need to stock up for summer.

Cheers

Guys,

Don't forget the time it takes for the priming sugar to carb up the bottles,
you don't really want this to be happening at 35 deg either, and may the brewing gods forbid
the yeast could even be killed by high temps before carbing is complete, unlikely perhaps but possible.

So you're going to need somewhere really cool to store the filled bottles as well.

Once it reaches 35 deg C outside it's time to give up for the summer unless you've got a running fridge.
Next year get those fermenters running in September.

Completely agree Robbo but even if it's in the 30's and 40's outside I haven't had an issue if the bottles carb up in the mid 20's inside.

35 degrees wont kill the yeast, although I agree that even conditioning should be done a bit lower. I don't think it'll ruin a brew though.

Got my second brew in my "Little Blue Fermenting Room" aka blue esky, sitting happily at 18 deg,c , WooHoo! 43 Degrees! Bah! Every problem has a solution, finding is the fun part.

Ive lukily got a working fridge that I can mostly keep off as long as I keep up the Ice bottle flow, seems to keep it about a steady 20-22 without the power, the fridge is admittadly in the shade most of the time too.. good for my Ale?

:party:

20 - 22 is not too shabby for an ale, a bit lower would be ideal if possible.

Previous post - Gentle swirl for me means getting the whole wort/beer moving around without splashing. I would avoid the opening lid/spoon stirring if possible.

How is the progress now sxs?

Latest posts

Back