Blonde Ale Formulation Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
After some advice on my new recipe.

I don't have a light coloured ale on my tap or in the cubes atm and was thinking of using up some of the bag of Citra i have.

I came up with a simple blonde ale and thought i'd add a small amount of crystal for complexity and sweetness. I don't know if this is to style or even desirable, so happy to be guided here.

Citra Blonde (Blonde Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.94 %
Colour (SRM): 3.8 (EBC): 7.5
Bitterness (IBU): 19.2 (Average)

99.1% Pilsner
0.9% Crystal medium

0.4 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

This will be no chilled, so i have been adjusting my hop additions by 10 min ie; 60 min goes in at 50, 10 min at flameout and flameout addition at whirlpool.
I figured a 65C mash would make it a little drier and less malty?

This will be no chilled, so i have been adjusting my hop additions by 10 min ie; 60 min goes in at 50, 10 min at flameout and flameout addition at whirlpool.
I figured a 65C mash would make it a little drier and less malty?

Instead of the crystal a touch of munich would be more appropriate and this style bennefits from some wheat too. If you decide to keep the crystal 1-2% like you have shouldnt attriubute too much in flavour which is fine. It's a pretty open style for interpretation so 65-66 mash should be fine as you want medium light to medium body. Hopping schedule more suited to apa so maybe a start of boil addition and then a 40 minute addition.

Overall I love your recipe but if you want it in style add a touch of wheat and change the hopping schedule to 60/40. I find blonde ales to be more malt focused. This looks like a tasty variation of the style so I'm adding it to my to brew list. Cheers

Thanks, i have made some changes after reading your response, the style guidlines and the article on how to brew.

Have now come up with this, much less hops and a bit more crystal.

Citra Blonde (Blonde Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.83 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.9
Bitterness (IBU): 18.7 (Average)

98.2% Pilsner
1.8% Crystal medium

0.4 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I know you don't want to let it go, but drop the 0 minute addition. The Blonde Ale isn't a hugely hop driven style, and late hops aren't what it's about. The 60/20 is a great compromise, or if you REALLY can't get by, then a 60/10 will do.

Back