Blonde Ale (6b)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im going to be making a Blonde Ale (6B) soon. The Malt is all ready, crushed and mixed, so that cant change (unless I feel like adding rice to up the OG).

What does everyone think about the hopping. Is it too complex for a blonde, I wouldnt mind adding a 5 or 10 min addition as well. The Brewing classic styles says to make this really simple with little to no late hops, but I want some hop flavor, and the grain is already more complicated than it says anyway.
Id like to make it to style for a comp, however Ive never tried (unless LCBA counts) one so am flying blind a little.

Ill also probably add some gypsum and maybe calcium chloride. Is there a general requirement for water in this style (eg Czech Pilz soft water or High Carbonate for Dry Stout), or should I just be getting PH and Calcium right?

Cheers,
Al

Recipe: American Blonde
Brewer: Al
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 31.38 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 5.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.Grain 72.92 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 20.83 %
0.20 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.10 kg Crystal Pale (Bairds) (50.8 SRM) Grain 2.08 %
10.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (20 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
10.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (20 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz-B [6.80 %] (20 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (0 min) (Aroma HopHops -
15.00 gm Saaz-B [6.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Suits the style guidelines if you ask me:

From http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1b
Comments: In addition to the more common American Blonde Ale, this category can also include modern English Summer Ales, American Klsch-style beers, and less assertive American and English pale ales.

I'd suggest this fits the bill of "Less assertive American...pale ale".

Suits the style guidelines if you ask me:

I'd suggest this fits the bill of "Less assertive American...pale ale".

Sweet, glad to hear. i had read them, but the recipe book kinda confused me. Guess it's a fairly broard style.

Any comments on the hopping schedule? I've never used simcoe before, but have heard it goes well with amarillo and b-saaz, so thought i'd give it a crack.

cheers,
Al

Looks tasty to me. But in terms of style, I'd say it's more like an APA than a blonde ale, other than the lower bittering. The late hopping looks much more than what I'd go for with a blonde ale. But it seems that you want some hop flavour/aroma so I wouldn't worry about making a blonde ale and make the beer you've got. :icon_cheers:

Looks tasty to me. But in terms of style, I'd say it's more like an APA than a blonde ale, other than the lower bittering. The late hopping looks much more than what I'd go for with a blonde ale. But it seems that you want some hop flavour/aroma so I wouldn't worry about making a blonde ale and make the beer you've got. :icon_cheers:

Cheers stuster,
Yeah, i still want hop character, but i might tone it down a little. Maybe reduce the flameout additions to 10gm each, and flavour additions to 6gm each.
Still gives 18gm flavour hops and 20gm Aroma.

Cheers,
Al

Hi Al

I would consider going maybe FWH with Amarillo and then Sazz B at 40 mins. You will still get hop flavour due to the simple grain bill. I wouldnt worry about the water addition other than making sure pH is low enough.

3G

+1 for that.

If you do want a blonde ale, think of a munich helles, with US ale yeast and any hops you want to 20IBU~.

You can add hops at any stage, if you want hop flavour, i'd go for a small bitterning addition, a large flavour addition to get your IBU up and little or no aroma hops as some of the aroma from the flavour hops should carry through into the finish. To get the malty sweetness i'd go for a pilsner malt or 1/2 1/2 pilsner and ale malt. I'd probabaly throw in 4% munich just for some complexity. With this style, the worlds almost your oyster for anything but the malt bill unfortunatly.. thats quite limited.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh its american, so for the water i'd go something with hard water (50-70ppm Ca) and 2:1 ratio Cl to SO4 as this is a malt forward beer on the palate.

Spewin, looks like the one bit thats critical for the style is the one thing that Ive committed to.

Oh well I was initially going to make an American wheat beer, but changed my mind when I realised that there was a blonde ale so reduced the amount of wheat.
Then I realised beerbelly were closing down and only had about an hour to look into the style and order my stuff, so only really looked at BJCP guidelines.

Maybe I need to invest in a grain mill so I can have all the basics at home.

Im sure Ill like this beer either way, so Im not overly upset about the situation, but hopefully I can squeeze it into the style.

Cheers for the help guys,

Al

oh, one last thing (for now).
I was intending on using US05. However Im making a CAP using WY2000 Budvar. The style guidelines say some people use lager yeasts.
Should I use the lager or the US05.

cheers
Al

Underhopped caramel APA it is!

Enjoy! :D

Edit:

The style guidelines say some people use lager yeasts.

Choice is yours... i'd probably just go with the Ale yeast unless you can be bothered with the lagering and loss of quality american hop aroma with the lager period :p

Choice is yours... i'd probably just go with the Ale yeast unless you can be bothered with the lagering and loss of quality american hop aroma with the lager period :p

Yeah, the lagering period doesnt really bother me at all because Ive been making beer faster than Ive been drinking it lately.
Could always compensate for the loss of hop character.

But I dont think Id get much benefit from using the lager yeast, so will probably just stick with ale.

Cheers for the help. Might take tomorrow or Thurs off work and make this one.

oh, one last thing (for now).
I was intending on using US05. However Im making a CAP using WY2000 Budvar. The style guidelines say some people use lager yeasts.

cheers
Al
G'day Al,
I think that the lager yeast will take the beer out of style. I'd recommend a Cali Common lager or American-style lager yeast to get the profile right.
Jamil says something about muted hop aroma and low hop flavour. Can offer a Jamil recipe if U want?

Brew Hard :lol:
Les

G'day Al,
I think that the lager yeast will take the beer out of style. I'd recommend a Cali Common lager or American-style lager yeast to get the profile right.
Jamil says something about muted hop aroma and low hop flavour. Can offer a Jamil recipe if U want?

Brew Hard :lol:
Les

Yeah, would love the Jamil recipe if you don't mind. I've got the brewing classic styles book, but wanted more hop flavour than what that recipe offered.
I saw the one on his website too.

Think you're right about the yeast. Will stick with an american ale.
Cheers,
Al

Latest posts

Back