Block & Tackle Chain Hoist

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with B&T. Small boat chandlery,(whitworths, bias marine etc) for sheave blocks in SS or acetel. or combination of both. While there get your rope, nylon or polyester braid(preferred).

Thanks for the tips.
After a visit to Gabba's place this afternoon, I think I'm sold on his pulley system idea.
I found these on ebay & I don't see any problem lifting anything with either of these.
What do you think Gabba?

4:1 bad boy

The mother of all pulleys, 6:1
yeah the 4/1 blocks are the same as mine with an extra sheave- more purchase.
price is about right for them

you can go double braid polyester rope but you better get me stone cold sober if you want me to splice it to the becket!!!!!

GABBA110360 said:
you can go double braid polyester rope but you better get me stone cold sober if you want me to splice it to the becket!!!!!
A decent knot will do. Has the benefit of being easily removed and you are not really stressing the rope.
For everyone else stay away from silver rope and the like as they fray and could drop bits into your brew.

superstock said:
A decent knot will do. Has the benefit of being easily removed and you are not really stressing the rope.
For everyone else stay away from silver rope and the like as they fray and could drop bits into your brew.
a splice will look a little neater than knot
as for stressing the rope/line I don't think it even comes close to being an issue due to the size of the rope
a good splice is as strong as the rope any knot is weaker
a bowline would be easy but a splice is NICE
it's all good have fun

GABBA110360 said:
a splice will look a little neater than knot
as for stressing the rope/line I don't think it even comes close to being an issue due to the size of the rope
a good splice is as strong as the rope any knot is weaker
a bowline would be easy but a splice is NICE
it's all good have fun
No argument about that here, but how many would have the right fid to do it.

MastersBrewery said:
I'm lazier like DU99 one of these should cover it
I use one of these, at first I thought it was overkill, then I used it. Now I don't know how I did without it

No more lifting hot malt pipes that weigh up to 25kg

Ok, all sorted.
Chain hoist probably not suited to this application.
Electric hoist would probably be ok but powering the thing where I needed it was an issue.
So, I went & got myself two double 75mm block SS pulleys with beckets, a 200mm cleat, a SS clip snap, 2 x SS Dee shackles & 15m of 12mm silver rope.
All this gear is used by commercial fisho's on their trawlers so I have no reservations about the durability or quality of the gear.
With the two pulleys, I will get a 4:1 ratio of pulling power so that should make light work of anything I'll be lifting.
It was a tad expensive to set up but will last a life time & it's super heavy duty.
GABBA has been kind enough to offer his splicing skills tomorrow morning to get me over the line... :beerbang:
Next brew on the BM this weekend & looking to even the score with the malt pipe..

for anyone else interested in getting a block and tackle set up I sent a quote request through to Anzor:

MFBM42032 S315A 32MM 304 DOUBLE WHEEL MAME BLOCK 2 $23.2474 EACH $46.49

MFBM42050 S315A 50MM 304 DOUBLE WHEEL MAME BLOCK 2 $32.6424 EACH $65.28

MFBM42025 S315A 25MM 304 DOUBLE WHEEL MAME BLOCK 2 $21.0486 EACH $42.10

ZFFCPLEASE3KG FREIGHT & PACKAGING NATIONWIDE 3KG 1 $16.0000 $16.00

I got the 25mm rollers, but would definitely go the larger ones If I was doing it again. At the time I thought 25mm would be plenty. They're good, but more is better :) I ordered a spare set that I don't think I'll be using if anyone somewhat local is after them. Their stainless clips (caribiner like things) are also a bunch cheaper than bias boating / whitworths etc.

Mine is a bit beefier.
2 x Block double S/S SHV 75mm - $158.70
2 x Shackle Dee S/Steel 8mm - $9.41
Clip snap S/Steel 12mm Asymetric - $17.60
Cleat Aluminum Alloy 200mm - $10.60
Rope P/Eth Silver 12mm x 15m - $18.54
Total cost $214.84.

Wow. Electric winch cost me $80 & I thought that was pricey

An extension lead would've cost you another $5

$215 :blink:

I think this was only $150 and you can get them cheaper now too.

6988745845_501362b2cc.jpg

Amber Fluid said:
$215 :blink:

I think this was only $150 and you can get them cheaper now too.

6988745845_501362b2cc.jpg
I seriously looked at one of these & almost bought one. I looked at the 400/800kg one from ebay which was $155 + $30 for postage so $185.00 all up.
Without starting a war on who has the best what, there were two issues that put me off.
1. It's electric. If the power goes out, so does the machine. The chances of this happening at the same time as I'm lifting the malt pipe.....pretty slim.
If it breaks down, well that's the end of it.
2.The power cord extension lead hanging from the man hole was something else I wasn't keen on. I rent, so mounting it to the roof like you have, although a better option, was probably out of the question for me.

So for an extra $19.00, I got something that has the ability to lift 3100kg ( blocks, not rope ) a 4:1 ratio which makes lifting heavy items just about effortless & the assurance that I'm using something that is used all day everyday by commercial fisherman. Being manual, there's really nothing that can or will go wrong with it so it's pretty much bullet proof. GABBA dropped round this morning & spliced the rope to the top becket & it's now operational. It's super heavy duty & there ain't nothing that I will be lifting that it won't handle. It's going to eat that malt pipe for breakfast.
edit: Spelling

First test with the block & tackle pulley system this afternoon on a 40lt batch of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone.
Collected 2 x 20lt cubes @1.045 which is bang on 80% eff.
Removing the malt pipe was easier than effortless & this setup has some serious pulling power.
I was expecting a bit or resistance from the malt pipe suction & the weight of the grain but as soon as I began to lift the malt pipe, I started to winder if I had forgotten to add the grain. It was way too easy & no match for the new setup.
Looking forward to the next brew day............... :beerbang:

Just thinking about this... How much is the pulling power reduced by by having a larger wheel - eg: my block and tackle are 25mm. If I changed the top one to 50mm would it make it significantly easier to lift?

lael said:
Just thinking about this... How much is the pulling power reduced by by having a larger wheel - eg: my block and tackle are 25mm. If I changed the top one to 50mm would it make it significantly easier to lift?
No, the pulling power is dependant on the number of pulleys, not their diameter. In this case two double pulleys give a 4:1 pulling power. If you had two single pulleys, it would be 2:1.

The size of the wheel only contributes to the speed of the lift/drop, or range of movement is probably a better term.

Ahhh... that is why it takes so long to lift (well.. seems like it...)
Thanks!

the size of the pulley does make a difference but you have made up for this by adding more falls. also the smaller the pulley the more stress is on the rope. to lift 50kg is fuckall so you won't really notice it on a 4:1 ratio. when lifting out of liquid it adds 1/7 to the load.

Back