blob of fluff sitting on top of break

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.Tas

Beer Goat
Reaction score
unnamed.jpgI made up a marzen last weekend with a mate. It was a no chill batch. Whirlpooled the wort then left it for 10 minutes. Transferred it wort to the cube and shut the ball valve once a decent amount of sludge was escaping the cone in the centre of the kettle.

I wanted to see how much of the liquid/trub left behind int he kettle was liquid and how much was wort after letting it flocculate out, so i swished up the left overs in the kettle and then transferred it into a 1L pasata jar. Its been a week and its settled out nicely. There is a wierd looking blob of fluffy looking stuff sitting on top of the settled trub. Any ideas what it is?

few specifics,
40L urn biab, used 1/3 to 1/2 of a teaspoon of koppafloc 10 minutes from end of the boil. grain bill was mix of vienna, pale and munich, little bit of crystal from memory too i think. Hops were pellet and added to a hop sock suspended in the brew with my skyhook that i use for raising the grain bag.

Latest posts

Back