Blisters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickTed

Reaction score
Bottled a brew last Friday, made another on Monday, then racked another today, only to find that there's 5-10mm of yeast trub in the secondary (pitched 2 pkts dry yeast), so I will rack it again tomorrow. Properly. <_<

Trouble is, I was hoping to give my hands a rest for a few days. If they're not in bleach, I'm spraying metho on them, and today I noticed large blisters and flakes of skin coming off the palms of my hands. :blink:

Guess it's the price you pay for drinking grouse beer. ;)

Might I recommend a moisturing regime? After brewing rub some sorbolene cream into your hands or, if you can find it, sorbolene with aloe vera. Does wonders and keeps your hands soft and luxurious.

dickTed said:
Trouble is, I was hoping to give my hands a rest for a few days. If they're not in bleach, I'm spraying metho on them, and today I noticed large blisters and flakes of skin coming off the palms of my hands. :blink:
[post="61709"][/post]​

A cheap box of disposable latex gloves will beat a life-time of corticosteroid cream any day. :)

Guys

Now that you rasie the topic. How many people continually sanitise their hands during brew sessions and how many wear goves. I tend to avaid all bodilly contact with the brew so only resort to a few soap washes through out it when required. I do have some chlorhexadine in stock if there is a need though.

Cheers

Borret

I jsut don't touch anything, or use some alcohol to clean whatever i touch. Id did see some anti-bacterial hand cream with moisturiser built in on a US brew store, would be interesting to try.

I use the kitchen gloves when I wash fermentors and bottles, and when sanitising them too. ...but not always.

The Winter weather is a bit rougher on the old skin too.

Seth :p

Yep, kitchen gloves for me...

Shawn.

I used to work in the food industry. The combination of chemicals, sweat and hot water is definately hell on hands, and resulted in many a unplanned chemical peel. Gloves can take some of the brunt, but only if they stay dry inside. I think when the chemicals etc get inside the glove it makes the situation worse off due to more contact time.

I am a big fan of sanatising with idophor, as the only real side affect that i have noticed with it, is only slight discolouration of the hands for a day. Not a big fan of chemicals containing high Ph stuff ie bleach etc, these are harsh.

Will

Over the summer break (just before I started Brewing) i got a rash on my hand.
Anyways, when the it stopped being itchy, red and swollen it died down and left half of the top of my right hand with scarring. I tried multiple dermatology type creams to get rid of it but nothing worked!

So i thought, "Oh well, guess it'll stay"

Then I bought my first HB kit which included PSR Sterilising powder.

I put down my first batch and bottling day came, so i was scrubbing out my bottles with my hands in the PSR solution (no gloves) and by the time I had finished cleaning 24 long necks my hands had a slight burning sensation and were quite dry BUT all the brown scarring had gone! (and yes, the scars were still there before i started cleaning)

I was happy that the scars were gone, but then I also realised I don't want to be getting that stuff on my skin too often. Now i'm more cautious and use gloves.

<THE END> :D

Now that I think of it I do use kitchen gloves when washing bottles but mainly for the fact that I hate trying to get rid of that slimey feeling on your hands from neopink. As kungy has said the inside of the gloves ends up saturated but mainly from the rinsing attachment that I fit to the hose so it'a just water in this case.
However, as I said on brew day usually wear nothin.

Borret

jgriffin said:
I jsut don't touch anything, or use some alcohol to clean whatever i touch. Id did see some anti-bacterial hand cream with moisturiser built in on a US brew store, would be interesting to try.
[post="61744"][/post]​

Jgriffin's lying! I saw him touch everything with his hands on the brew day and then he was going to use his mouth to get the sparge tube working, before we stepped in and taught him the flick method ;)

Personally, I spit on my hands to help with gripping things. Haven't had an infection yet. It's good on the inside of the thighs for getting fermenter lids off, too :p

Cheers - Snow

So you brew naked then Borret??

Yeah, you've got to get in the spirit of things. I only use candle light on brew night and dance around in the bollocky in the cloud of steam. :D Also helps one to judge the ambient temp of the air when calculating mashin temp to the affore mentioned mashing by feel techniques.

Give it a go. and don't knock it till you've tried it.

Borret :blink:

Snow said:
jgriffin said:
[post="61744"][/post]​

Jgriffin's lying! I saw him touch everything with his hands on the brew day and then he was going to use his mouth to get the sparge tube working, before we stepped in and taught him the flick method ;)

Personally, I spit on my hands to help with gripping things. Haven't had an infection yet. It's good on the inside of the thighs for getting fermenter lids off, too :p

Cheers - Snow
[post="61769"][/post]​

Bah! That was pre-boil, so who cares? :) Besides, i'm the first to admit my sanitation may drop a bit as the beers get consumed...

Weizguy said:
I use the kitchen gloves when I wash fermentors and bottles, and when sanitising them too.
Seth

Ditto to the above. I like my tallies in one piece & the gloves help keep a firm grip on the glass. Wash my hands with soap before using any sterilised gear as well. :D :D

manaen said:
So you brew naked then Borret?? ;)
[post="61770"][/post]​

They don't call em ring burners for nothin.

Borret

Borret said:
... I hate trying to get rid of that slimey feeling on your hands from neopink.
[post="61760"][/post]​

That slimey feeling that you get from neopink, napisan etc is the fats in your skin being broken down by the caustic cleaner. The product itself isn't slippery, it's your body being dissolved...

:blink:

Wortgames said:
Borret said:
[post="61760"][/post]​

That slimey feeling that you get from neopink, napisan etc is the fats in your skin being broken down by the caustic cleaner. The product itself isn't slippery, it's your body being dissolved...

[post="61909"][/post]​

Yep- got that from the fermentors thread.
Still don't like it. Nearly as bad as getting the filth from eating marinated chicken wings of your fingers but doesn't taste half as good.

Cheers

Borret :blink:

Wortgames said:
Borret said:
[post="61760"][/post]​

[post="61909"][/post]​

:blink: This all explains where the rashes & burn like scarring ive had on my hands for the past 12 months.

Do we all suffer from this?

Latest posts

Back