Blichmann "tower Of Power" Direct Fire Rims Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoozer

Reaction score
:eek: Wow! this bit of kit looks awesome. It is claimed to be a modular, flexible RIMS controller unit with PID accuracy for gas systems.
I'm itching to see one, there is one HBS in the us already retailing them (there are 2 seperate modules in the system) for $575 & $550 respectively.
Have a look at the Blichmann Tower of Power "control module" and the "Tower" here: http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/

I'm thinking about the playing with mash parameters, the fine control u have. It would certainly allow tweaking which would be fun..

Does anyone know what would have to be done regarding gas & electrical systems for it to retail here?

I shot an email to ibrew asking him if/when they'll be available here, I haven't had a reply yet but if they do, I reckon he'll retail them close to $1k. :eek:
People who know about the technicalities of electronics, programming etc are probably thinking "whats so impressive?, its just a bunch of valve controllers and sensors all wrapped up in a pretty box. I could do that for cheaper" and thats great! but for others who have no idea about it (and more importantly, often no INTEREST) they just want to make beer!. So they're amazed to hear the possiblities that these sophisticated bits 'n pieces allow and if they can have that without having to do a uni degree then they'll happily pay the price to get on with beer making :rolleyes: :lol: Plus it is Blichmann which, although expensive is top notch! u know it'll last.
The things coming out now are top shelf I reckon.

All the Blichmann stuff looks very cool, but I am not sure if you can get their products using metric units. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken :icon_drool2:

All the Blichmann stuff looks very cool, but I am not sure if you can get their products using metric units. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken :icon_drool2:

Sight gauges Im not sure, but you can definitely get the dial thermometres in Celcius.

Bit of a PITA seeing as though my kettle is imperial and the mash tun is metric....

I've been keeping an eye on this gizmo for a while now. Thanks for the link.

The gas fittings are different. The Blichmann burners come with a pressure regulator that is different to the standard Australia LPG fittings. Having said that you can get an adaptor part machined for not a lot of money and you're in business - but you will need a medium pressure regulator.

Addressing a few more of your questions and points in the OP snoozer I doubt this unit will ever retail in Australia. Apart from the gas issues I mentioned above the electrical system would need a step down. Ibrew do not stock Blichmann Top Tier stands nor their burners so there's not much point selling these "add ons."

There's nothing stopping you from ordering direct from the US (for example High Gravity ship to Australia). It looks pretty impressive but I'd wait and see what the early users of them have to say. I've got a lot of Blichmann gear and with the exception of the sparge arm it's superbly well made and designed. There have been times in the past when Blichmann has improved on the design of his products after their release (such as the conical fermentors and the hop blocker).

Ahh I see...I just assumed iBrew carried everything Blichmann made. I didn't allow for incompatible elec & gas systems. Well, that changes things a bit.
OK, so the fact it uses different voltage and different gas would be enough to put most people off. But I'm still interested because I'm just finishing a gas-fired recirculating mash rig and was thinking there wasnt any good gas system you could just add to a stand AFTER its built and then I see this. so in theory u'd just bolt it onto the existing system and u'd have a computer controlled brewery!
Hmm I'm gonna keep an eye on this for 6 months, see how it develops. I already have a step-down power supply from a previous seppo treadmill and a medium pressure reg so I'd pretty good to go I reckon.
Oh yeah I should have linked to the manufacturers website too.

Back