Blichmann Hope Blocker On A Braumesiter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
Hey Team,

Has anyone managed to get one of these to work on a braumeister?

hop-blocker.jpg

I tried to see if anyone local had one for me to look at, but no dice. I was doing an iBrew order and thought at $70 I'd give it a go and see what happened.

Well...it's a lot bigger than I realised...it also works a little differently to how I realised, so now I have this thing without any real idea of how I might fit it to my BM. I know of the MHB pickup tube, but I've not seen one in action and haven't gotten any replies to my emails about buying one after market off them, so I am completely in the dark on this one.

Any suggestions on how to fit this, or examples of how you've fitted a pickup tube I might be able to piggyback on?

Thanks!

You could mount it in a "grant" after the tap on the BM and filter out of the grant into a fermenter or chiller.

Grant? Just did a search for 'beer brewing grant' and nothing sounded/looked relevant. Any ideas on where to find more info?

Hey Team,

Has anyone managed to get one of these to work on a braumeister?

hop-blocker.jpg

I tried to see if anyone local had one for me to look at, but no dice. I was doing an iBrew order and thought at $70 I'd give it a go and see what happened.

Well...it's a lot bigger than I realised...it also works a little differently to how I realised, so now I have this thing without any real idea of how I might fit it to my BM. I know of the MHB pickup tube, but I've not seen one in action and haven't gotten any replies to my emails about buying one after market off them, so I am completely in the dark on this one.

Any suggestions on how to fit this, or examples of how you've fitted a pickup tube I might be able to piggyback on?

Thanks!

No replies from MHB for my same inquiry re p/u tube!
I have a Brewers Hardware/ Core Brewing Concepts hop/trub via tri clover filter and would love to have that tube to complete the system.

I have not fitted one, but I also do not see the need for one. Even with out the pickup tube that I got from MHB (which mainly got me an extra few liters of wort from below the tap) I never had any trub getting into wear I did not want it. I allways use pellets, give a good wirlpool and leave to settle and some sort of ketle floc.

Rurik

I just do not think that you could fit that much of a hop blocker into the BM. Maybe if you fitted it after removing the malt pipe... but then you will burn your hands trying to get it into there.

Perhaps something like this might squeeze in before filling with water and the malt pipe:

Hop_manifold.jpg

Alternatively, a bazooka or hop screen might work if it was on a 90 degree fitting? (so that it bends around the side wall of the BM and sits under the element)

Hop_screen.jpg

As for after the BM, pre-chiller or pre-cubes:

Vortex has recently purchased a triclover trub filter (for use in a 3V system), it might be ok to use as a hop blocker post BM? HOP1_Disassembled.jpg http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html

I used a Blichman hop rocket as a hop catcher/blocker after the BM. I replaced the original tap with a three piece (requiring a "-1/2" nipple and then a " 3 piece full bore tap).

Hop_rocket.jpg

ThirstyBoy asked me some time ago, when I orginally posted the picture, if I was worried about hot side aeration with this configuration. I wasn't at the time but am reasonably concerned about it these days. I'd be more inclined to use it up the right way these days, possibly with hose from BM tap to base of hop rocket to be able to have the unit lower than the tap. It is great to use it as both a hop back and hop blocker. For this rocket, 'Leaf hops' or whole cones are better to use than pellets.

Most of the time a good whirlpool will settle pellet hops and whole cones into the trub cone if you are making a 'normal' batch. If you are using loads and loads of pellets you might think about screening them somehow. A huge mob of whole cones straight into the BM acts as a pellet hop and trub filter bed anyway.

I generally just use hop socks, they're quick and easy. Whilst it is stated that they do not decrease hop utilisation, the way in which I use them leads me to believe that the way in which I use them gives me lower utilisation, flavour and aroma (easy enough to add more hops/ adjust recipe to suit oneself and ones method).

Latest posts

Back