Blichmann Beer Gun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
canon1ball said:
To bloody fiddly if you ask me, used it about 3 times and gave up. 1/4 of beer and 3/4 of froth, that's what I get in my bottles!
Cooled bottles before filling, dropped pressure. Doesn't work for me!
Yeah Same here i end up loosing too much beer in order to fill a bottle to the brim i end up loosing brobably a glass of beer in foam i have tried pouring filling at 2psi and 5psi and tried chilling the bottles but i have had no success, i filled a 6 pack today to give to the inlaws on christmas day but now im worried that im going to be giving them flat beer :( did i read that someone suggested upping the filling pressure or did i miss read?

can anyone help im about to give up on the thing and look at making a poor mans beer gun as its disapointing to see your hard work go down the drain

djar007 said:
Have you tried making your delivery line longer. Try three metres and cut it back to suit.
yeah the beer line length is 3m its what came with the gun should i make it shorter? does the keg need to be elevated (on the bench with the gun being lower then the keg? i have always had the keg on the floor when filling i read on another forum that someone uses about 8 psi so maybe to low psi i have been using is the problem?? or should i make the line longer?

wally said:
Westo,

Have you been filling cold bottles? I always cool my bottles before filling with the the beergun.

Does the keg that you are filling from pour OK through your normal keg setup?
yeah i chilled the bottles and when hooked up to the kegerator it pours great.

yeah i assume it is ... or are you meaning is the line on the gun the same as that on my kegerator 5mm ID ... good point, i know that the line that came with the gun is a softer plastic then that i use with the kegerator so maybe i could get 3 Metres of line the same as my kegerator and see how we go...

Worth a try. Mine works fine. Had to play with the lines a little to set it up. But it pours great and minimal foaming. Have to admit. I don't always chill the bottles. And it still works fine. Making sure to purge the bottle with co2 for a couple of seconds and then pouring on an angle until submerged. Then a quick co2 squirm in the top when full. I also keep the gun in a bucket of chilled sanitised water in between fills.

I disconnect the gas to the keg until it runs out of pressure then give it a quick squirt of gas to repressurise. You get the perfect fill everytime and will get about 2 or 3 stubbies filled before you have to reconnect the gas to the keg for a few seconds.

Hippy said:
I disconnect the gas to the keg until it runs out of pressure then give it a quick squirt of gas to repressurise. You get the perfect fill everytime and will get about 2 or 3 stubbies filled before you have to reconnect the gas to the keg for a few seconds.
ill try that first i think as its free lol before i swap the hose... how much pressure are you hitting the keg with each time?

I just purchased a Blichmann beer gun & also bought the keg connection kit add on but that was unnecessary for me.
I ended up using a T-piece from the micromatic regulator, followed by an inline tap. Connected to that is some JG line followed by a 2 way divider.
On the gas in side of the beer gun, I attached a female adapter.
The problem with this gun is you need two gas lines to operate it, one for the dispensing keg & the other for the gun. The liquid out was as simple as screwing on the supplied hose with fittings. I bottled 12 x 345ml bottles this afternoon from a cold keg, bottles at room temp & had my reg set @40-50kpa. I had no foaming issues whatsoever & job done in no time at all. I filled the bottles in a shallow dish & as far as wastage goes, next to nothing at all. I reckon there would be a Tablespoon of beer at most. The beer gun is so much easier to use than my CPBF that I used to own. A shot of Co2, angle the bottle & fill. Another shot of Co2 before capping & it's that's easy. I highly recommend it, it's a great bit of gear.

Crusty said:
I just purchased a Blichmann beer gun & also bought the keg connection kit add on but that was unnecessary for me.
I ended up using a T-piece from the micromatic regulator, followed by an inline tap. Connected to that is some JG line followed by a 2 way divider.
On the gas in side of the beer gun, I attached a female adapter.
The problem with this gun is you need two gas lines to operate it, one for the dispensing keg & the other for the gun. The liquid out was as simple as screwing on the supplied hose with fittings. I bottled 12 x 345ml bottles this afternoon from a cold keg, bottles at room temp & had my reg set @40-50kpa. I had no foaming issues whatsoever & job done in no time at all. I filled the bottles in a shallow dish & as far as wastage goes, next to nothing at all. I reckon there would be a Tablespoon of beer at most. The beer gun is so much easier to use than my CPBF that I used to own. A shot of Co2, angle the bottle & fill. Another shot of Co2 before capping & it's that's easy. I highly recommend it, it's a great bit of gear.
How are they after some storage time? I want to use my BBG for some comp beers but they always go flat after a couple of days. seems I lose a LOT of co2 on pouring day. Tried all the suggested 'up the pressure to over carb, then wind it right down to bottle' - nohing seems to work.
How where yours after a few days Crusty?

mckenry said:
How are they after some storage time? I want to use my BBG for some comp beers but they always go flat after a couple of days. seems I lose a LOT of co2 on pouring day. Tried all the suggested 'up the pressure to over carb, then wind it right down to bottle' - nohing seems to work.
How where yours after a few days Crusty?
No loss of Co2 or anything with mine.
My kegs are @75kpa & I think I poured @50kpa or a tad less. I am drinking one right now & definitly no loss of carbonation at all. These are the bottles I filled a couple of weeks ago

Latest posts

Back