Blichmann Beer Gun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
& the need to have a spare keg to rinse it with sanitiser before/after every use...

mikk, get yourself a 2L garden sprayer and fit a gas out post to it, good for claening your lines/ taps etc

I would say even just getting a PET bottle carbonation cap, fill a coke bottle with sanitiser, and squeeze the fluif through, would be another good option for cleaning / sanitising.

I would say even just getting a PET bottle carbonation cap, fill a coke bottle with sanitiser, and squeeze the fluif through, would be another good option for cleaning / sanitising.

That would only work if you could swap the liquid disconnect on the beer gun for a gas disconnect, no? It's a good idea if you can, but doesn't help if you're more permanently set up with barb fittings.

Cheers,
tallie

What is everyone's experience with long term beer storage with this Beer Gun?

Cheers,
Jase

Only ever bottle enough for the short term with mine so couldn't tell you. Depends how your storing it I guess.

I bottled 20 stubbies of fairly carbonated Belgians last night with my Blichmann Beer Gun.
First real use 'in anger', I'd only done a fizzy messy disastrous test run previously.
And I have to say it was a total success.

8492581015_04c7cd31a8_n.jpg

My tips were -
1. read the instructions! I didn't drop my serving pressure before, this made a massive difference!
2. Up your carbonation levels in days before bottling - will lose some fizz, so I'm hopeful this should offset it.
3. Chill the bottles and gun before filling.
4. Have something to rest the gun in between fills, and a tray under the bottling area to catch your ullage.
5. Always be firm with the beer fill trigger. Straight on. Straight Off.

Once I got going, found it very easy.

Grab bottle. Insert Gun. Flush CO2, Begin Fill (45 degrees). Raise bottle to flat. Fill to brim (tiny bit of foaming over). Pause. Remove gun. Flush headspace with CO2. Clunk., click. Cap on.

The fact you can 'hold' the bottle by sticking the gun in it really helped. Flushing before and the headspace felt like a winner.
In bottling 20, I maybe lost 100ml to ullage.
Foaming was minimal. All bottles are filled perfectly with around 1" uniform headspace.

I would think these will last as long as needed, unlike a tap/growler fill (which has its merits), proof will be in the drinking of them.

All in all, it was fiddly to get started/get a system - as bottling always is in my experience - but once you're set, I'm loving it.

Got a Blichmann Beer Gun for my birthday!! Nice bit of gear.

I notice everyone says 'up the Co2 level' - anyone have a guesstimate on the amount to add? I usually have my APA's etc at 75 - are we talking 85 or so?

I usually go about 100 Logman. Chill everything first. They can be a bit fiddly, but once you get the hang of it it's a good bit of kit.

Edit. I realised last night that I did indeed drop the serving pressure for the beer gun, apologies for any confusion caused.

razz said:
I usually go about 100 Logman. Chill everything first. They can be a bit fiddly, but once you get the hang of it it's a good bit of kit.
To bloody fiddly if you ask me, used it about 3 times and gave up. 1/4 of beer and 3/4 of froth, that's what I get in my bottles!
Cooled bottles before filling, dropped pressure. Doesn't work for me!

hey guys what do you mean by up co2 level to 100 , .I am in greece and use either psi or bar 100 psi seems TOO much so it is 100 what?
thanks Paul

canon1ball said:
To bloody fiddly if you ask me, used it about 3 times and gave up. 1/4 of beer and 3/4 of froth, that's what I get in my bottles!
Cooled bottles before filling, dropped pressure. Doesn't work for me!
The guy on seems to do ok if that helps....

Last edited by a moderator:
Logman said:
The guy on seems to do ok if that helps....
Thanks Logman,
I do remember watching this particular video before I bought the gun from ibrew, and that's excactly as I do it, but, as I said, end up with a bottle of froth, like I'm sucking up air along the line.
I was so frustrated that after a few attempts the gun ended up somewhere in a cupboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
canon1ball said:
Thanks Logman,
I do remember watching this particular video before I bought the gun from ibrew, and that's excactly as I do it, but, as I said, end up with a bottle of froth, like I'm sucking up air along the line.
I was so frustrated that after a few attempts the gun ended up somewhere in a cupboard.
I would be more then happy to take it off your hands for you if you'd look at selling it :beerbang:

canon1ball said:
Thanks Logman,
That's a shame because it looks like a bloody handy tool. Great to bottle a few for people that are super fussy about sediment (my girlfriend for example).

Hope I get it working properly. :huh:

sponge said:
I would be more then happy to take it off your hands for you if you'd look at selling it :beerbang:
Give me a week or two and I get back to you.

Great bit of kit for low carbonated beer styles. You'd struggle to bottle something requiring a high level of carbonation like a lager or Belgian wit. Least that's my experience of it, as they usually end up a bit undercarbed.

razz said:
Edit. I realised last night that I did indeed drop the serving pressure for the beer gun, apologies for any confusion caused.
Not sure what you mean by this?

Another question - if it's carbed at 100 to achieve 75 once it drops, how long does this process take, say if I bottle it at lunchtime, is it at 75 that evening?

Back