Blending

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxt

Geer bod
Reaction score
I have a confession, I am a blender.

Having beer on tap has lead to experimentation over the years, and one of the best has been mixing beers.

Last night I did a 70/30 blend of a Dunkleweizen and an American IPA. Fanbloodytastic.

My house beer is a heffe/choc stout blend (90/10).

So, who else is a blender?

Do you blend into the keg or whilst poaring into the glass?

I must say I have never blended before, not because I don't like the idea, just never thought of doing it.

I will quite often blend while pouring. Most of yesterdays beers were a blend of aussie old and a golden ale. Mainly because the old has not carbed up yet but it was tasting nice so I kept going. My usual is to give a beer a shot of stout, havnt found a beer it doesnt work in yet. But I do like my stouts :)

Cheers

I blend in the glass. It's amazing how much more interesting your beers can be when you mess with them.

I've always got a Mongrel keg, even got a keg (green rubber rather than the standard black rubber) dedicated as the Mongrel. When I brew/fermented I always go the full 23L batch and then at kegging time fill up a keg, and the rest goes into the Mongrel keg. Ends up with some really interesting beers.

QldKev

Kev do u top up the mongral as u go? Adding more left over beer as u keg fresh beer?

Kev do u top up the mongral as u go? Adding more left over beer as u keg fresh beer?

Nope, the Mongrel is always drank before the next fermenting cycle has finished. I ferment a minimum of 2 beers at a time, so always have at least 2 beers in the mix.

QldKev

Almost all the time, stuffed up head retention on a beer! Just give it a shot of that other one. This one is too grassy but smells fantastic, just blend in the glass. Eventually they all hit their own sweet spot but until then, blend it is :)

I have a confession, I am a blender.

Also Guilty!!

I've always got a Mongrel keg, even got a keg (green rubber rather than the standard black rubber) dedicated as the Mongrel. When I brew/fermented I always go the full 23L batch and then at kegging time fill up a keg, and the rest goes into the Mongrel keg. Ends up with some really interesting beers.

QldKev

And Again............guilty!

:lol:

Screwy

I've done a blend or two over time.
I usually blend a beer after I have made a stuff up with the bitterness.
If I have a beer that is too bitter I brew the same beer with less hops and then blend the two and keg, problem fixed.

Cheers

Back