Blend 1272 With 1056

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent tried it, but i'd love to know what your plan is.

Why? They are 2 fairly similar yeasts, not sure what you would really achieve?

QldKev

well I have an upcoming IIPA with an OG of 1.098 and I want to use 1056. I thought I had 2 packs with which I could make 2 x 5L starters and maybe get enough yeast to pitch but I have 1x 1272 and 1 x 1056.
I do have a cubed smoked chock porter that I could ferment to get a big enough yeast count for the IIPA but im running out of fridge and keg space so I didn't want to ferment the Porter right now. So I thought just blend the two into the IIPA. Bit of a conundrum!

I say just save one of the packets and build a big enough starter so it can get the job done easily.

If you were to pitch them both at the same time one would just simply over power the other strain anyways, they wont simply work together.
I think you would be better off going with a combination 1056/3787-Trappist High Gravity, both the yeasts you want to pitch are vary similar in taste and alcohol tolerance anyways.

At 1.098 you'd be much better using a yeast cake from a standard gravity beer imho, just make sure to keep it cool at the start

At 1.098 you'd be much better using a yeast cake from a standard gravity beer imho, just make sure to keep it cool at the start

Yeah I might get a brew going of that porter and top crop the 1056 in a few days.
Cheers

ok, that explains it. I though you was imagining some new super tasting yeast. I don't think mixing the 2 yeast will be an issue. I personally would brew a normal 1.050 brew and pitch directly on the yeast cake.

QldKev

...a normal 1.050 brew ...

QldKev

I wonder how that is normal! The sessionability and enjoyment of my beer has gone up since I dropped strength to under 1040 OG. I'm not dissing on stronger beers but I reckon they get far too much attention.

Prolly useless to the OP since he is going for war wound dressing solution anyway ;)

I agree with mje1980.

Ideally you wouldn't want to play down 1272's bit of character by mixing it with the plain boring old 1056 :ph34r:

I wonder how that is normal! The sessionability and enjoyment of my beer has gone up since I dropped strength to under 1040 OG. I'm not dissing on stronger beers but I reckon they get far too much attention.

Prolly useless to the OP since he is going for war wound dressing solution anyway ;)

Sorry to the OP for getting off topic here.

It would depend on what normal strength is. I think of normal strength beer at up to 5.0%abv, it's what you get at most places if you order a normal full strength beer.

What I personally brew is different. I've only brewed 2 beers in about the last year above 4%, with the biggest at 5.2%. My house beer is 3.5%, with most beers between 3.3 to 3.6%.

QldKev

No worries, was wondering.

I've seemed to grown an appreciation for the lighter alc beers since moving to queersland.

OK, moving off the OT stuff. Excuse me OP :)

A little on topic, yeast seem to friggin love these sub 1040 beers. I could brew a scotch on the yeast cake, neat.

Queersland?

No worries, was wondering.

I've seemed to grown an appreciation for the lighter alc beers since moving to queersland.

OK, moving off the OT stuff. Excuse me OP :)

A little on topic, yeast seem to friggin love these sub 1040 beers. I could brew a scotch on the yeast cake, neat.

Anything under 9%ABV is a soft drink. That's why the Poles make Zyweic Porter as a thirst quencher. :icon_offtopic:

I like heavier beers (when done properly) I dont mind the smaller stuff for swilling in summer but I get more enjoyment out of slowly drinking 3 goblets of Westmalle Tripel. Although iv'e tried twice now to brew this beer but have been unsuccessful. Im confident my 3rd attempt will be spot on. At the end of the day I suppose it just depends on what the environment is for drinking. Winter around a fire i'll go the big stuff IIPA's Belgian Tripel's etc but in summer I'll get my handpump (if it ever arrives) set-up around the pool and pollish off a keg with some mates.
Anyway back on topic.

I decided to go with the 1272 and it's krousening nicely in the 5L erlenmeyer. I'll pitch it in the porter at 1.050 and top crop enough yeast, I hope :ph34r:

It's Tuesday now and I need the yeast for Saturday so I think using the yeast cake is out of the question. What do you guys think? I think the yeast will need more time to clean up before I rack it off the cake.

Anyway thanks for the responses much appreciated.

I like heavier beers (when done properly) I dont mind the smaller stuff for swilling in summer but I get more enjoyment out of slowly drinking 3 goblets of Westmalle Tripel. Although iv'e tried twice now to brew this beer but have been unsuccessful. Im confident my 3rd attempt will be spot on. At the end of the day I suppose it just depends on what the environment is for drinking. Winter around a fire i'll go the big stuff IIPA's Belgian Tripel's etc but in summer I'll get my handpump (if it ever arrives) set-up around the pool and pollish off a keg with some mates.
Anyway back on topic.

I decided to go with the 1272 and it's krousening nicely in the 5L erlenmeyer. I'll pitch it in the porter at 1.050 and top crop enough yeast, I hope :ph34r:

It's Tuesday now and I need the yeast for Saturday so I think using the yeast cake is out of the question. What do you guys think? I think the yeast will need more time to clean up before I rack it off the cake.

Anyway thanks for the responses much appreciated.

I was going to question if pitching the IIPA onto a yeast cake from a porter (especially a smoked one) was a good idea, in terms of potential for any flavour and colour to carry over. They're not exactly similar styles, although arguably an IIPA would have enough of its own flavour to mask the origins of the yeast. Unless of course your plan was to wash the yeast cake?

As for top cropping 1272: I've never tried it, but I don't believe it's considered a proper top-cropping yeast. I've seen the question get asked about US-05 a few times and the answer is always that it's not a good idea (the yeast gets stressed, difficult to crop enough, etc).

If you're aiming to use the yeast on Saturday, I'd save the porter for another day and make a larger starter to pitch directly into the IIPA.

The IIPA is going to be black so I thought the porter would be suitable colour wise and yes if I did use the cake I would give it a wash before pitching. Never tried top cropping 1272 but when iv'e used it in the past iv'e had a pretty damn big crousen so i'll give it a go and if that fails i'll change the recipe for a no-chill or go the LHBS and get some dried yeast as a last resort.

Back