Bleach as Sanitizer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nala

Reaction score
I have used bleach as a sanitizer for years, never had a problem.
I have mixed...10 mls of bleach and 10mls of white vinegar to 6 litres of water for sanitizing fermenters etc, since I started brewing 8 years ago.
I recently bought my usual home brand bleach from Woolworths and having compared the listed active ingredients from my old bottle to the new bottle I find that Sodium Hydroxide has been reduced from 9 g/ltr to 4 g/ltr. Could someone advise please whether I need to double the dosing from 10 mls / 6 liters to 20 mls/6 litres.
I attach 2 pictures of the bottle labels.

2014-11-02 09.40.51.jpg

2014-11-02 09.42.10.jpg

My understanding (PLEASE CHECK BEFORE FOLLOWING - I HAVE NOT USED BLEACH FOR A LONG TIME AND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT DEADLY GASES) is that you mix bleach and water, then add your vinegar portion.

That would be logical as your not mixing the vinegar with a more concerntrated bleach if you add it to diluted bleach so the reaction wont be as severe

nala said:
I have used bleach as a sanitizer for years, never had a problem.
I have mixed...10 mls of bleach and 10mls of white vinegar to 6 litres of water for sanitizing fermenters etc, since I started brewing 8 years ago.
I recently bought my usual home brand bleach from Woolworths and having compared the listed active ingredients from my old bottle to the new bottle I find that Sodium Hydroxide has been reduced from 9 g/ltr to 4 g/ltr. Could someone advise please whether I need to double the dosing from 10 mls / 6 liters to 20 mls/6 litres.
I attach 2 pictures of the bottle labels.
Why not use this as an opportunity to move from bleach to a no-rise sanitising formulation?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Use starsan to sanitise and nappi-san to soak and clean
Exactly. Don't waste your time debating the toxic pathway for products that are shit brewery sanitisers. No rinse. No fuss.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Exactly. Don't waste your time debating the toxic pathway for products that are shit brewery sanitisers. No rinse. No fuss.
Sounds like an infomercial haha. One that I 100% agree with however.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Use starsan to sanitise and nappi-san to soak and clean

Except I use PBW instead of Napisan. Dunno why but PBW nails it better than Napisan for me somehow.

PBW has sodium metasillicate and other bits and pieces as well as a greater concentration of sodium percabonate and a surfactant..

Pure percabonate shits all over nappisan and is a tenth of the price

S A N I T I S E R.
S, it has a ******* s in it.

S, not z, NOT z.

It's not going to work because you cannot spell in Australian.

Yob said:
PBW has sodium metasillicate and other bits and pieces as well as a greater concentration of sodium percabonate and a surfactant..

Pure percabonate shits all over nappisan and is a tenth of the price
If you can get it locally, or else it's expensive to get it shipped to you :/

Even with a ~$15 courier price on a 25kg bag it's still a massive win, companies like E-go are fantastic and cheap.

Hmm, I'm starting to run low so might have to organise some more ;)

Yob said:
Even with a ~$15 courier price on a 25kg bag it's still a massive win, companies like E-go are fantastic and cheap.
Hmm, I'm starting to run low so might have to organise some more ;)
Yes. I need some too. 1 bag cost me about $1 per kg and lasted about 1.5 years and I used indiscriminate amounts to clean everything. Half my washing just used a scoop or so, cat vomit, red wine spills, cleaning benchtops, burnt pots, tiled floors, walls - you name it.

manticle said:
Half my washing just used a scoop or so, cat vomit, red wine spills, cleaning benchtops, burnt pots, tiled floors, walls - you name it.
Must have been one hell of a party

Latest posts

Back