Quantcast

Blackcurrant Cider Recipes?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

damo_m

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have made a fer ciders in the past and all way to dry, could hardly drink them and heavily alchoholic ;)

Anyone have a trusted blackcurrant cider recipe they have made? Maybe it is the yeast I have been using, most people are using the Wyeast in all ciders, I have been only using the kit yeats packs such as black rock, maybe that is my issue?

Cheers

Damo

robbo5253

Reaction score
I have made a few all juice ciders and then just back sweetened in the glass with apple and black currant cordial. That way you can sweeten to taste. I find it good as you can gradually add less so it doesn't get sickly sweet.

Cheers

Robbo

troopa

Reaction score
Aldi apple juice 2L bottles and a single 2L of apple blackcurrent to what ever volume your making up to ... i find one bottle of the apple/blackcurrent enough to start with and then play around
last few times it has left it pretty sweet with a deep color (For me)
Cant go wrong for $22 and some yeast
want it sweeter then back sweeten in the keg or in the glass with a little more juice

edit.. Yeast is usually what ever i have lying around but i dont like the kit yeasts and even EC1118 not isnt too exciting for me

troopa

Reaction score
Last cider i made was 12L of Aldi juice with a Kg of clover honey with about 3L of water to around 1.060 i think it dropped to 1.005 then turned the fridge down to 5deg for a couple of weeks
I think i was meaning to add another 2L of juice in during fermentation but forgot so i just back sweetend with 2L of juice to 17L
Kegged it yesterday
I like it
Wifey doesnt like it and recons it is the clover ... shes a huge fan of the mesmate honey in our meads but doesnt like the clover. Oh well more for me :D

Im more of a suck it an see ciderer .. untill apple season then i dont stuff around with mixing things up

JaseH

Reaction score
Did one recently with a mix of Aldi apple, apple & blackcurrent and some pear juice from Woolies. Used Lalvin D47 yeast. I added 500gm of lactose to it after fermentation(14L of cider) and also added another 2L of apple & blackcurrent juice to the keg once it was chilled. Its a bit sweet for my taste but the girls love it. I might leave the lactose out next time and see how it goes.

damo_m

Reaction score
Did one recently with a mix of Aldi apple, apple & blackcurrent and some pear juice from Woolies. Used Lalvin D47 yeast. I added 500gm of lactose to it after fermentation(14L of cider) and also added another 2L of apple & blackcurrent juice to the keg once it was chilled. Its a bit sweet for my taste but the girls love it. I might leave the lactose out next time and see how it goes.

Cool, did you do 14l or 23l? would you recommend back sweetening like you mention with lactose? I have not done this before and used cider kit yeast which is probs why my ciders have been crap.

troopa

Reaction score
Are you kegging or bottling?

JaseH

Reaction score
Cool, did you do 14l or 23l? would you recommend back sweetening like you mention with lactose? I have not done this before and used cider kit yeast which is probs why my ciders have been crap.
Depends on your tastes. I didn't mind it a bit drier, but was brewing it for some females friends who I knew liked sweet ciders, so had to sweeten it up. The lactose works, its a bit hard to dissolve properly. Even though I attempted to dissolve it in boiling water first, the first couple of glasses from the keg were a bit gritty and sweet.

I did 14L as I didnt want to be stuck with 23L of cider if it sucked and no one wanted to drink it!

damo_m

Reaction score

Has anyone heard of SN9 yeast, would that be ok for this cider?

damo_m

Reaction score
Depends on your tastes. I didn't mind it a bit drier, but was brewing it for some females friends who I knew liked sweet ciders, so had to sweeten it up. The lactose works, its a bit hard to dissolve properly. Even though I attempted to dissolve it in boiling water first, the first couple of glasses from the keg were a bit gritty and sweet.

I did 14L as I didnt want to be stuck with 23L of cider if it sucked and no one wanted to drink it!
one other question, I assume you are just using the sugar from the juice to ferment? I gather adding dex it will make it more dry and seriously alchoholic.

JaseH

Reaction score
one other question, I assume you are just using the sugar from the juice to ferment? I gather adding dex it will make it more dry and seriously alchoholic.
Yep ;)

Latest posts