Blackberry Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scmgre

Reaction score
I am going to brew a blackberry stout because i have picked 8kg of blackberries and i am up for it.
I BIAB and no chill. 23litre batch
the blackberries are frozen i have 2 questions.
1: is 4kg far to much and should i halve it i have lotts and lots of blackberries.
2: can i put the frozen blackberries in the primary and pour the hot wart ontop cooling the wart faster and steralising the blackberries or should i let them defrost and add them to the secondary?

5.00 kg

Pilsen (Dingemans) (3.2 EBC)

Grain

52.4 %

0.20 kg

Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC)

Grain

2.1 %

0.20 kg

Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)

Grain

2.1 %

0.15 kg

Roasted Barley (Crisp) (1369.2 EBC)

Grain

1.6 %

45.00 g

Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Hop

27.7 IBUs

1.0 pkg

English Ale-2 (DrYeast #Y04)

Yeast

-

4.00 kg

Fruit - Blackberry (0.0 EBC)

Adjunct

41.9 %

cheers Gareth

If it were me id add them to the secondary after boiling them to sterilise

Grainer said:
If it were me id add them to the secondary after boiling them to sterilise
any particular reason why? or is it just the junk in the primary?

I think boiling might ruin their flavour and aroma but i'm not sure, as my crumbles are good :)

I made the wort all went well added some crystal as well, and will add the blackberries to the secondary as sugested, but i am just oing to defrost and bring up to room temprature I think i will go the whole 4 kg :)

The sugars in fruit are easier to ferment than the sugars from malt, so they will ferment out first and make the beer drier and create undesirable flavours in a beer. It made mine taste winey when I added mixed berries to primary. But I liked the flavours when I added them to secondary after 4 or 5 days.
Also I didn't boil my fruits as I was told that the pectins in the fruit will create a haze in the beer, and since it was a 6% porter and still slowly fermenting I assumed that it would be hard for anything to get hold of with the minimal oxygen/CO2 rich environment.
Also I added 4kg to a 20L batch.

cheers Jimmy just what i wanted to Know :) my mash ended up quite low at 64-63 degrees so dry anyway so i will pitch today and transfer to blackberry goodness on Monday. how did your beer turn out with 4 KGs of fruit was it nice?

I thought the 4kg was pretty good. There was enough fruit to appreciate the flavour, but it didn't over power the malty flavour of the porter.
Like a black Forrest cake with coffee really

Latest posts

Back