Black Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trickymac

Reaction score
has anyone made one? is so what are their thoughts on it
woudnt mind making one, im not a fan of stout or porter but the coopers website it isnt either of those and is a schwarzbier(black beer)
just wondering if anyone would be able to describe it
the recipe is thus

Ingredients
  • 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Pilsener
  • 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract
  • 300g Crystal Malt (optional)
  • 15g European Lager yeast (W-34/70) and/or kit yeast

A better way in my opinion would be to replace the dark malt tin with a light one, then scrap the chrystal and cold steep anywhere from 100 to 300g of carafa II or III for 24 hours in the fridge instead.

ditch the kit yeast and use any lager yeast at the appropriate quantities and temps.

I've got my first Schwarzbier on at the moment too. I'm trying for a Kostritzer Schwarzbier clone (I love that beer so much) and found this recipe on the BeerSmith website;

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_327.htm

You can use it as a guide for what grains to steep or hoops to use, if you don;t nessecarily want to do an all-extract recipe. I also agree with Florian; start with light malts and darken it with the extra grains eg. a little black patent will give you that lovely deep dark colour.

Be aware, doing a Lager properly takes ages compared to a standard Ale, I'm in week 2 of Lagering after 3 weeks of Fermenting and getting impatient to be cooking up my next batch with a week and a half to go before I can bottle.

Patience truely is the hardest thing to learn while brewing :( but it does taste bloody good out of the tap atm :D

Back