Black pepper, coriander and ginger.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marina Breeze

Reaction score
Put it on today - I'll let you know.

The last one was pretty good but this time I've used T-58.

??

Did you use as much pepper as the last brew you did?
I was surprised that much pepper wasn't overpowering.
I didn't reply as I've never done it myself.

Marina Breeze - the Hardbrew Man :cool:
I've done a 16 litre Dark Ale with a few "proper" Espresso shots... kinda aiming at a Stout sort of thing...
Yes, I drank it, but ummm I think the IBU went through the roof, my chest became an Afghan rug and I didn't sleep much that week.

??

Did you use as much pepper as the last brew you did?
I was surprised that much pepper wasn't overpowering.
I didn't reply as I've never done it myself.

Actually this time I put an extra 5g of crushed black pepper corns in because, surprisingly, the last brew it was barely noticeable.
Give it a run - I'd say if you didn't boil it for 5mins and the add to primary to allow it to ferment out and mellow you'd possibly be in trouble.

Marina Breeze - the Hardbrew Man :cool:
I've done a 16 litre Dark Ale with a few "proper" Espresso shots... kinda aiming at a Stout sort of thing...
Yes, I drank it, but ummm I think the IBU went through the roof, my chest became an Afghan rug and I didn't sleep much that week.

Ha ha grrr!
Like the espresso shots idea - came out a bit full on though ay? Nothing worse than an overpoweringly bitter beer.
I did a similar thing with a coffee porter but just added 2 teaspoons of coffee to primary. Turned out ok, as in, its more subtle than id like but thats why we experiment I guess.
Back to the drawing board mate have another go.

MY ORIGINAL ATTEMPT. THIS ACTUALLY TURNED OUT GOOD - SMOOTH WITH A VERY SUBTLE PEPPERY SPICE.

Posted 18/11/18

Gday all,

First go at an extract black pepper and coriander beer with some steeped crystal grains 10L.

25g saaz @ 15min
25g saaz @ 10min.....BUT THEN

25g of cracked coriander seeds and 25g of cracked black peppercorns chucked into the boil @ 5mins.

The relatively overpowering smell of pepper had me a bit worried but after tipping into the FV it mellowed out a bit and smelt more of the familiar malty smell you'd expect.

For those that have either tried before or heard I guess the question is:
Do you think it'll blend after a 14 day ferment or am I likely to have something I'm going to have to mix with other brews to make it drinkable?

While I'm here - should I bother dry hopping with the remaining 50g of saaz or keep it for something else another day?

Cheers boys!

MY ORIGINAL ATTEMPT. THIS ACTUALLY TURNED OUT GOOD - SMOOTH WITH A VERY SUBTLE PEPPERY SPICE.

Posted 18/11/18

Gday all,

First go at an extract black pepper and coriander beer with some steeped crystal grains 10L.

25g saaz @ 15min
25g saaz @ 10min.....BUT THEN

25g of cracked coriander seeds and 25g of cracked black peppercorns chucked into the boil @ 5mins.

The relatively overpowering smell of pepper had me a bit worried but after tipping into the FV it mellowed out a bit and smelt more of the familiar malty smell you'd expect.

For those that have either tried before or heard I guess the question is:
Do you think it'll blend after a 14 day ferment or am I likely to have something I'm going to have to mix with other brews to make it drinkable?

While I'm here - should I bother dry hopping with the remaining 50g of saaz or keep it for something else another day?

Cheers boys!
Can't see it doing any harm, I think I would have put them in at flameout.

Latest posts

Back