Black pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJB

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a black pale ale I want to brew. I really want the black colour without any flavour. I know if you add the black malt at the end of mash you get colour and less flavour but I have no idea how much to add. Does anyone have any experience with this??

Cheers

Sinmar extract or cold steep roasted malts (carafa special or de-bittered roasted malts would be best) and add to the boil for colour with minimal flavour

As Goomba says, add 1-1.5% max dehusked black malt. I've used Carafa III in the past to make a black saison. From memory, it was about 1% Carafa III and maybe 0.1-0.2% regular black malt just to get a little roastiness. Worked out great.

I'm lazy so just mashed it all, but there's probably better ways.

Thanks guys. I think the midnight wheat might be the ticket. Once it's brewed I'll let you all know how it goes

Midnight wheat cold steeped gives a real intense colour and not much roast behind it.

I've made a couple of 'mass-friendly' porters and stouts for parties this way by getting the colour I was after but with a subdued roast character.

Ducatiboy stu said:
No such thing. B)
There damn well should be.

Black IPA or Cascadian Dark ale, or whatever the hell you call them is one of my favourite styles. Yet I can't sit around and drink a >6% hop monster all night. So I scale them down, to be more like an APA, but black. What would you call that then? Dark Brown Ale? Hoppy porter?

Phoney said:
There damn well should be.

Black IPA or Cascadian Dark ale, or whatever the hell you call them is one of my favourite styles. Yet I can't sit around and drink a >6% hop monster all night. So I scale them down, to be more like an APA, but black. What would you call that then? Dark Brown Ale? Hoppy porter?
Why not just black ale or dark ale if that's what it is? black pale ale is odd as its either black or pale it can't be both.

Well it's really just an experiment so chill out. I'm just wondering if it is possible to create a beer that is a nice hoppy APA but that is black without any roastyness at all. I'm not interested in using any type of colouring either. It's more a gimmick type of thing

I made a BIPA with no real roast coming through. I used the method of chucking carafa 3 in for the last 10 minutes of the mash. Was a cracking beer for sure!

Blind Dog said:
Why not just black ale or dark ale if that's what it is? black pale ale is odd as its either black or pale it can't be both.
Isn't pale ale called that because it uses a large portion of pale malt, rather than the pale colour? And black IPA etc called that because they use black malt?

If so, black pale ale makes sense if it's using black malt and pale malt.

hijukal said:
Isn't pale ale called that because it uses a large portion of pale malt, rather than the pale colour? And black IPA etc called that because they use black malt?

If so, black pale ale makes sense if it's using black malt and pale malt.
Nope. Its all about the final colour of the beer. Which is why some people are outraged over Black IPA. I've explained it before, as explained to me, that IPA became known as those 3 letters, (without thinking about what they stand for) as something that is strong in alcohol, hops and flavour. So if you didnt know the P stood for Pale its fine. But it does, so its wrong. Thats why I prefer Cascadian Ale for that particular style.
So the original poster should call their beer Old Ale.

Phoney said:
Well then what's so wrong about Black APA, without thinking what the P stands for?
It's so wrong because I'm anal and I can't not think about what the P stands for.

Balck IPA is why I have to take the red pills, Black APA will mean I have to take the green ones too

mckenry said:
Nope. Its all about the final colour of the beer. Which is why some people are outraged over Black IPA. I've explained it before, as explained to me, that IPA became known as those 3 letters, (without thinking about what they stand for) as something that is strong in alcohol, hops and flavour. So if you didnt know the P stood for Pale its fine. But it does, so its wrong. Thats why I prefer Cascadian Ale for that particular style.
So the original poster should call their beer Old Ale.

I think I'll keep calling the monster I have on tap right now an Imperial Black RyePA, and each glass will taste a little better knowing that somewhere someone is getting upset by something so inconsequential.

Back