Black Kegerator Seal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko72

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Towards the end of last year I finished converting a Fisher & Paykel chest freezer into a serving fridge.

photo.JPG

To match in with the rest of the unit I sprayed the seal black with appliance paint.
As expected though the paint is now starting to chip off.

My plan is to replace this with a more permanent solution!
So I gave a few fridge seal places a call to ask if they do black seals.
Most of them do, but not for the model I have (H510).
My current seal appears to be doing the job so I dont have to replace it.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks again folks

Cheers,

Dicko

I would attach a strip to the lid in front of the seals such that they hide the seals and only have a few mm gap.

Hi Folks,

Towards the end of last year I finished converting a Fisher & Paykel chest freezer into a serving fridge.

View attachment 52695

To match in with the rest of the unit I sprayed the seal black with appliance paint.
As expected though the paint is now starting to chip off.

My plan is to replace this with a more permanent solution!
So I gave a few fridge seal places a call to ask if they do black seals.
Most of them do, but not for the model I have (H510).
My current seal appears to be doing the job so I dont have to replace it.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks again folks

Cheers,

Dicko

An eskimo once told me that "there's nothing better than a tight seal.........."

Cheers

Paul

Probably no help, unless you are happy to wait for all the paint to flake off

Paint it with type of stuff
http://www.speco.com.au/vht_vinyl.html

Otherwise like Mark^******* said use something to hide it, like a plastic strip or even black foam tape

QldKev

There used to be a outfit that came to your place and replace seals. 'Seal-a-fridge' I think their name was. If they are still around, they will most likely have black seals. They just cut to measure/shape.

There used to be a outfit that came to your place and replace seals. 'Seal-a-fridge' I think their name was. If they are still around, they will most likely have black seals. They just cut to measure/shape.

clark rubber should ahve something to suit.

clark rubber should ahve something to suit.
I like the idea to use draft stop foam tape. Black electrical tape will work too.

If you folks get Krylon paints, they make a plastic adhere-able paint called "Fusion"

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm liking the stick on fix idea.
There isnt a great deal of room from the seal to the front of the lid. The lid is also curved in the middle for opening.
Ya reckon that black tape stuck to the seal would do it. Or maybe it would look weird?
It sounds like the fix may be easier than I thought.Want to get it done fast so I can refilling the kegs!The Christmas drought hit hard this year... :chug:
Thanks again folks.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm liking the stick on fix idea.
There isnt a great deal of room from the seal to the front of the lid. The lid is also curved in the middle for opening.
Ya reckon that black tape stuck to the seal would do it. Or maybe it would look weird?
It sounds like the fix may be easier than I thought.Want to get it done fast so I can refilling the kegs!The Christmas drought hit hard this year... :chug:
Thanks again folks.

Black tape is cheap. No over-spray. Easy clean-up. You can peel it off if you don't like it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, black tape is worth trying.

Black tape sounds like the way to go!Bunnings here I come...

Black tape sounds like the way to go!Bunnings here I come...

Older thread and all but what did you end up using, what worked, what did it look like. I'm currently in the middle of a F&P chest freezer conversion (painting it gloss black) and have been contemplating what to do about the seal.

Check out freezer conversion thread for options.

Works treat.

Older thread and all but what did you end up using, what worked, what did it look like. I'm currently in the middle of a F&P chest freezer conversion (painting it gloss black) and have been contemplating what to do about the seal.

I tried using tape but couldn't get it to sit right. Removed it and took most off the paint off that was loose.
Was thinking maybe tyre black but haven't got round to that one yet..

clean the seal with metho then a couple of coats with a Black laundry marker[texta]

Back