Black Ipa Is Brown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Ive just mashed in for a black IPA Im brewing using the grain specs below. I couldn't get carafa 2 which is what I usually use so subbed it for wheat malt dark.

But as its recirculating now its not very black, in fact its more of a brown colour. Did i stuff up somewhere?

here is the recipe.

Black IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 6.823
Total Hops (g): 129.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.89 %
Colour (SRM): 18.1 (EBC): 35.6
Bitterness (IBU): 55.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 72
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
5.322 kg Pilsner (78%)
0.409 kg Victory (5.99%)
0.409 kg Wheat Malt (5.99%)
0.273 kg Crystal 30 (4%)
0.205 kg Chocolate (3%)
0.205 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (3%)

Boil longer.

Add some steeped, boiled roast malt later if it's still not dark enough.

Or don't worry about it.

that recipe predicts an ebc of 35.6, which is far from black.

did you use a dark wheat malt or did you use midnight wheat (the black one)?
If you used midnight wheat you will be close to black.

I've often steeped grains mid ferment to adjust the flavour (or colour in this case. If you do this and want some really good hop flavour boil the malt steepings and add some hops for the last few minutes. these hops will get a real wack of aroma and flavour. It's basically late kettle hopping towards the end of the ferment so you don't lose the aroma with the co2 produced through the fermentation.

ive still got 47 minutes of the mash left, could I add some dark malts in the last 15 mins or so?

I just checked and I stuffed up and ordered wheat malt dark instead of midnight wheat. Lucky for me the supplier lives around the corner. I just phoned him and hes going to crush me up 200 grams of midnight wheat.

I dont know why I didnt notice the EBC in Brewmate being out. I suppose I just thought it would be darker than what brewmate says anyway.

This is obviously a follow on from your post about no T2.....................is the colour so important mate? If it tastes good and its not for a competition who cares. Kick back and have a home brew :icon_cheers:

haha yes it is a follow on, I didn't end up getting the carafa 2 and had to hold off brewing for a few weeks anyway.

I could leave it as is but would prefer it to be black.

As they say once you go black..You never go back..

Well done bloke! Brewers 1 Rest of the World Nil................

I thought black IPAs were only meant to be black coloured. Not all toasty?

Well Reese from Core Brewing concepts saves the day (No affiliation etc other than he lives around the corner, is a nice bloke and was willing to help me out.)

He had no midnight wheat so Ive used chocolate instead. Added another 300 grams, still not black but at least its darker.
Gave him some of my Galaxy Pale Ale for his troubles. And...He didnt even charge me for the chocolate.

Brewers 1 rest of the world nil indeed. :D

I thought black IPAs were only meant to be black coloured. Not all toasty?

Can you explain please Nick? What grains am I using that will make it toasty instead of black??

Genuine question.

That much chocolate may make it a bit acrid IMHO.............but you'll know soon enough.

Probably won't be a drama then bloke. Happy New Year BTW :icon_cheers: Now get that brew count up for 2013!

Probably won't be a drama then bloke. Happy New Year BTW :icon_cheers: Now get that brew count up for 2013!

Yeh same to you... :icon_cheers:

yes was very dismal for 2012 but I didnt brew for 3 months while I packed up to move house. So hopefully this year can get some more brewing in. It cost me a fortune buying craft beer.
Thats the problem with becoming a HBer. No longer will cheap beer suffice.

Back