Black IPA extract recipe critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshyposhy

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Been brewing since 2014, a bit of extract and a bit of BIAB grain brewing. Since I moved out, I've been restricted to just extract brewing. Never made a Black IPA so I thought I'd ask for feedback if I'm on the right track. I've also wondered if I could optimise my hop amounts and boil schedule so let me know your thoughts. I've got too much Galaxy, Chinook, Columbus and Amarillo on hand so I can either put more or less in it.

Recipe: Joshy's Black IPA
OG: 1.055
Batch size: 23L
Boil size: 7 litres
IBU: 63
Est ABV: 5.2%

3kg Dry LME
0.5kg Dry Wheat ME
0.4kg JW Crystal
0.4kg Weyermann Carafa Special III

Hop Schedule:

60m- 40g Columbus (29ibu)
15m- 40g Chinook (13ibu)
15m- 40g Amarillo (9ibu)
5m- 45g Galaxy (6ibu)
5m- 45g Amarillo (4ibu)

Dryhop 5 days:
45g Amarillo
45g Galaxy

MJ West Coast Yeast

Cheers!

I would halve the crystal, use just enough carafa (and/or midnight wheat) to hit the colour you want and bump the og up to around 1060 - 1065. Using a shade of dex to bump the og a few points won't hurt.

Pitch adequate yeast for the higher gravity.

Chinook and amarillo combine well (pine resin balances stone fruit and citrus). I dislike galaxy so I'd best not offer advice on its use.

Looks good. Here's what bubbling away in my fermenter right now. It's my first attempt too.

Black IPA. 21 litres. Extract. 1061 OG 1015 FG (estimated). 6% ABV.

1 x cooper's 1.5kg LME.
1.7kg LDME
300g dextrose

Steeped grains:
250g carafa 3 (cold steeped)
500g munich, 150g chocolate and 100g dark crystal (at mash temperatures)

100g Columbus @ 15.
100g Amarillo @ 5.

Something like 60 IBUs.

2 packets BRY97.

I've gone for the short boil idea which I am finding better results for me.

Lessen your crystal a bit.

I was going to go more carafa too but advice was to use minimum to make it black.

I like chocolate malt in everything so far so put some in!

I'm only a novice but I do like to tinker with the Black IPA, I've had good results with adding 300g of Midnight Wheat to basic All grain IPA recipes. Colour is good and it adds a bit of dark/roasty flavour that's easy drinking.

Latest posts

Back