Black & Gold Spring Water - Doesn't List The Sulfate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Howdy

Just bought about 30L worth of Black & Gold Spring Water to have a go brewing with (it was very cheap) and it lists this water analysis:

Chloride - 49
Sodium - 32
Magnesium - 4.2
Calcium - 1.9
Bicarb - 20
Potassium - 1.2
Sulfate - ???

They unfortunately don't list the suphate content.
Is there a way of calculating it from the other numbers? (I don't know chemistry)
Or is there a safe number to estimate?

Cheers

James

Dont worry about it. You can probably assume its low (within 30ppm or so). I would assume its about 20. Your beer styles will work out. I would be adding gypsum anyway to get some Ca in there.

Howdy

They unfortunately don't list the suphate content.
Is there a way of calculating it from the other numbers? (I don't know chemistry)
Or is there a safe number to estimate?

Cheers

James

Yes, if those numbers represent an actual analysis, then the water should be charge balanced, which means the number of negatively charged ions should match the number of positively charged ones. They have listed all the important positive ions, but have left off sulphate which is an important negative one.

Using the major ions that have been provided, the water comes up with a few too many positive ions. Setting sulphate at about 5 mg/L it is about balanced.

So sulphate is probably less than 10 mg/L.

Thanks a lot guys for your information.

Guest Lurker, you were RIGHT on the money. I got an email back from them saying 8mg/L !

Cheers, James

Back