Black Dog Brewhouse Rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seamad

beer dog
Reaction score
Have been working on a braumaster type of rig for a while. Several times my partner told me to just go buy one but thats no fun.

Have done 3 brews to check functioning is OK. All seems to work well. Previously did BIAB, used current setting from beersmith for recipe design and have gained @ 5 % efficiency compared to BIAB.

Brews so far are 2 multi-steps ( Tony's Saison, and my Hefeweizen) and a single infusion / mash out ( ESB )

Very happy with results. Not as pretty as a german jobby but functional none the less.

Here goes then:

The controller.

Auber step/ramp PID with a 25A SSR on heat sink in a jaycar box. Probe is a PTD100. Can turn all components off if I wish to

controller_1.jpg

Malt pipe set up is a old mixing bowl with copper pipe for inlet pipe and silicon seal. Made some legs up with some Al flat bar.

Pipe itself is original Big W 19l stock pot from my first BIAB before the urn.. Bottom filter is a splatter guard( fixed to pot base). Top filter Al mesh with SS splatter guard. Also tried a piece of voile as well last brew. This is held in place with clips. For dough in lift pot slightly with 1/2 the clips already attached, add grain and pump with paint paddle. attach clips and lower pipe onto the bowl. turn pump on and starts pumping through the grain bed.

malt_pipe_1.jpg

Before adding water I attach the base to the wort inlet pipe inside the urn with a SS hose clamp. At mashout after lifting the pipe I use my paint ( mash) paddle to lift it out , remove the base and start the boil. I have used the pipe to sparge and drop it back in for whirlpool.

urn_1.jpg

The whole system. Pump is a march pump. Have various camlocks to make cleaning easier plus I NC into cube so outlet pipe fairly long.
urn_5.jpg

Looks great!

Can you provide details of of the insulation you use on your kettle? I've had a look at a few various types at Clark Rubber, but can't settle on any one.
Is it closed cell? EVA / PE? What temperature is it rated to? How did you fix it to the kettle?

cheers for any info!

Thanks for the compliments.

Insulation is 10 mm closed cell foam from clark rubber. Not cheap stuff but I had some left over from boat projects.

Cut a piece to make a jacket, get a nice butt joint. Cut another bit to full height of jacket @100 mm wide. Glue this with 3 m spray high bond contact ( from clarks ) to one side of the jacket. Then glue velcro to jacket and strip. Cut out for handles etc.

I leave mine on for boil then remove at whirlpool.

Just make sure urn is dry and avoid wort spills as can stick a bit if wet, cleans up easy though.

Cheers
Sean

a very ingenious way to pump from the bottom of the malt pipe and to use a concealed element urn, awesome job sean :icon_cheers:

steve

Thanks Steve, the base was the bit that took me the longest to figure out. Was a bit suprised on first practice run to see water cascading out the top of the malt pot. Thought it might be tricky to extract it too before boil but pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back