black and yellow beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oshe

Reaction score
my beer is dark yellow, it taste okay but not great, the colour puts me off.

when I bottled the beer there was what looked like black mold against the wall of ny plastic cooper fermenter, there was only a thin layer against the wall the size of a hand. It shocked me because I dry hopped at day 3 and I used spring water. I also preboiled the kit extract.

has anyone else ever had beer this colour?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 45
Looks oxidised.
If it was a pre-hopped kit you probably shouldn't boil it either as you could make it more bitter.

There is a fair chance its exactly what it looks like, Black Mold.
There are a bunch of them, some are quite toxic fortunately those generally wont grow in beer. Aspergillus Niger (not being racist that's it name Niger is Latin for black) is reasonably common (that's the one that grows on bathroom silicone).
I would get carried away when you clean the fermenter, this mold has a habit of imbedding in plastic and coming back to haunt you. A soak for a couple of days in a bleach solution might be a good idea, followed by your normal cleaning process.
Well if you are growing it might be a good idea to revise your normal cleaning routine.
Mark

Latest posts

Back