Bjcp 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone knew of when the next VIC BJCP course would be running? Would be very keen to have a crack at going to one.

Cheers,
James

Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone knew of when the next VIC BJCP course would be running? Would be very keen to have a crack at going to one.

Cheers,
James
The exam for last year is this weekend, so I imagine it will be a couple of months.

The exam for last year is this weekend, so I imagine it will be a couple of months.

for those that have done it whats the work load involved like? id be very interested but am also doing a science degree online so am conscious of time.

I had 2 weeks notice when I wrote it and managed enough for national. It's possible but not very fun. Practice writing out the questions by hand and you'll do well. I graded the thing for quite a while and I wrote an exam guide. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

I've got an intensive study group I'm trying to start up in time for the Jun exam we have - currently it's only half subscribed. We will probably over-subscribe it anyway since there seems to be about a 50% attrition rate in the past.

Once I've firmed up details I'll shoot out a note.

Cheers!

Andy

for those that have done it whats the work load involved like? id be very interested but am also doing a science degree online so am conscious of time.
Not sure about the intensive course Andy is planning, but the normal one I did was a few hours once a week after work to meet up and sample a whole lot of different styles out of each category. Typically, we'd be focusing on a technical aspect as well. Usually 50/50. If you're studying science (what discipline by the way?), some of the topics will be much easier to grasp.

There's no assessment during the study group (unless that changes), just the exam at the end which you will be prepared for by attending the study groups.... and a bit of cramming right before hand!

Not sure about the intensive course Andy is planning, but the normal one I did was a few hours once a week after work to meet up and sample a whole lot of different styles out of each category. Typically, we'd be focusing on a technical aspect as well. Usually 50/50. If you're studying science (what discipline by the way?), some of the topics will be much easier to grasp.

There's no assessment during the study group (unless that changes), just the exam at the end which you will be prepared for by attending the study groups.... and a bit of cramming right before hand!

I'd love to do the course but find it impossible to drive to Melbourne for a few hours a week, would be much better if it could be in one day, however that's not practical either as you would probable end up too drunk trying to taste all the and not remember much. Would be fun though :icon_drunk: . Would love to know if there is a list of sample beers available to everyone (such as at Dan Murphy's) that has a description of what you are looking for and should be tasting that way you can practice at home. Would be great if we could do one on this forum where by a list of beers from a category are posted each week. People can then taste them during their own time and post their thoughts then move on to another category next week.
If someone who has done the BJCP course and has an ideal beer list to try it would be great if you could post it.

Also for people wanting to do the BJCP course, check on the BJCP website and you'll will find a practice study guide that will help let you know what you are getting yourself into.

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

I'd love to do the course but find it impossible to drive to Melbourne for a few hours a week, would be much better if it could be in one day, however that's not practical either as you would probable end up too drunk trying to taste all the and not remember much. Would be fun though :icon_drunk: . Would love to know if there is a list of sample beers available to everyone (such as at Dan Murphy's) that has a description of what you are looking for and should be tasting that way you can practice at home. Would be great if we could do one on this forum where by a list of beers from a category are posted each week. People can then taste them during their own time and post their thoughts then move on to another category next week.
If someone who has done the BJCP course and has an ideal beer list to try it would be great if you could post it.

Also for people wanting to do the BJCP course, check on the BJCP website and you'll will find a practice study guide that will help let you know what you are getting yourself into.

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:
beer list is usally at least one from the bjcp commerical example list in the style guidelines - link. there are of course other commercial examples not listed but you cant really go wrong if you follow that

I've only just begun but its Bachelor of Science (Applied Sciences) at RMIT through Open uni. Just doing a class at a time as its been 10 years since I've done any schooling and work full time, baby steps. It seems biology orientated but basically for the next year ill be knocking over the core first year subjects and then ill see what elective subjects and direction i take.

Just shifted around my classes to take the most introductory class next term as i should have taken it this term,
so if the class is as easy as I'm told i may have time for a night a week.

is Cramming similar to shotgunning cans? :ph34r:

Back