Bitx And Plato

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
They are the same right?

close enough batz
brix and plato are both roughly equal too 4 deegrees of specific gravity.

Jayse

Cheers Jayse
Just setting up beersmith , you set it to bitx , but the recipe comes out in plato

Almost finished a brew , this little toy sure makes it easier , why didn't I buy one sooner?

hey batz what are those glass things that you float in wort? :lol:

have you worked out how you use the refractometer to give you final gravity?

Jayse

Why would FG be any different
Just convert as before , I think :huh:

Batz for taking readings after the fermention has starterd you have to take into account there is alcohol in it, the refraction of light will not be a true reading for the amount of sugar in solution.
But if your either a mathematical proffesor or have brewing software you can get the correct reading.

Go to the beersmith refractometer tool, the first thing you'll set is the calculation to finished beer, then put in your refractometer reading for the finished beer.
Now what you do is adjust the one that says hydrometer reading untill the original gravity reading is what your original gravity was.

the hydrometer reading under the brix reading is then your final gravity.
Iam not sure if that makes sense so go grap a beer an try it. If you now the beers OG you can take a brix reading and get the final gravity, but you'll just need software to do some calculations which are almost impossible for he human brain.

Anyway simple answer to why FG would be diff is because there is grog in the sample.

Jayse

Cheer for that Jayse , yes makes sense , found it in beersmith as well

Batz

how do you do this in promash, there is a refract button in the fermentation but when i go into it, and add the "Brix" it does not update the SG, infact it changes it to zero. Same in the efficency area of a brew. I entered the OG in brix and it gives me a efficency of zero, and SG of zero.... tried help but it does not look to be working as expected

Thats weird. It works for me.

Here is a screenshot.
Shows my OG of 1.055. Current reading of 8 Brix giving me a current SG of 1.017

Beers,
Doc

RefractDuringFerm.JPG

My screen looks the same as Doc's
Fill in the original values on the right, either in brix of sg, fill in the current value on the left, and you get changes in the sg in the middle...

dreamboat

When i click on the Utilitys menu then "raw wort gravity" i enter a brix value and the gravity does not change.

however when i click on gravity during fermentation it works ok.. as in it updates

brix2.jpg

but when i first go into the refrac option it has a sample data for the SG in there and it looks ok :( however as soon as i enter any number the SG goes to 1.00002 no matter what brix i enter

brix.jpg

Weird.
My Raw Wort one works fine too.
What version of Promash are you running (1.8a ) ?

Beers,
Doc

I see what is wrong.
You don't have the Brix Correction factor in.

Options => System Settings => Instrument Calibration.

Make it look like my screenshot.

Beers,
Doc

RefractCalib.JPG

great! now it works

doc why do you have 1.04 rather than 1? < dont worry i looked in the help file and now understand why :)

did you test it and come up with 1.04 or just use it as its the mid point?

thanks for the help doc

I have no idea. I presume it is default as I don't ever recall changing the settings.
And to be honest I never use the Promash conversion stuff for refractometers.
I use my cheat sheet for brew day and use a hydrometer for the start and finish gravities.

Beers,
Doc

i would have thought along with a huge benifit in the sparge runnings (quick to cool 1 drop etc) but the next advantage is that you can take FG often without wasting say 100ml each time.

So do u still use a hydro for FG?

Never "wasted" from the hydro... always a "sample"

dreamboat

Stuffed if I know.....
I callibrated it with distilled water, set the correction factor at 1.040

and ran to my just finished brew - OG 1.050 - FG 1.010

Put a drop on the prism and got a reading of 5.4 brix
'
i entered the brix and the OG into the fields of the 'gravity during

fermentation' box in promash and got a gravity reading of ....1.00405 instead of the

real reading of 1.010 I've checked the help section of promash and i'm

almost certain I havent made a mistake
Right now I'm feeling crushed ...and 70 bucks lighter

Any ideas????

Breaky

Back